1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Constant in its movement, yes.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Halloween is going to cease to exist in a couple of decades.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At least something good will come out of all of this shit. Because grown-ups celebrating Halloween -- which became a thing when I was just getting out of college -- is seriously annoying.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's ridiculous. #DickWhitmanThroneOfJudgment

heyabbott likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If he thinks whites have “freedom without criticism” then I doubt he thinks. If he think Trump is not criticized then he clearly lacks the perspective to be employed expressing his opinion. Coates has freedom from consequences of his thoughts, but no one in this country, yet, has freedom from criticism

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're just expressing their individuality. It allows an entire generation of passive-aggressive introverts to sneakily impress their grandparents who couldn't be prouder.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Expound on the bolded, when you have a chance. That's an interesting description.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cheerios did one about five years ago. It got the reaction you’d expect. They stayed with it though.

That Cute Cheerios Ad With The Interracial Family Is Back

poindexter likes this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

But college girls in slutty costumes!

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, I don't know what he thinks thinks. I took that paragraph as a kind of deeply-rooted expression of sorrow and frustration. In the Bible there are plenty of Psalms that express a longing when you consider them in context.

On some level, I think Coates is just kind of competitive and discursive. T.I. says in one sentence - “He don’t know the things that we know because he’s removed himself from society to a point where it don’t reach him." - what Coates takes many words to say and explain.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Alma quoting T.I.? You've got street cred!

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Millennials are real smart - very educated, insightful, watchful, and emotionally capable. And if you really pin em down, and seem sincere about that, it'll come out.

Otherwise they hold a lot back. A lot. As a protest, as a critique, as a sense of protection, I dunno, maybe all those things. They peer out at the world and judge it pretty harsh on social media, and they're good at listening and listening and listening. That's what makes this whole conversation, based on listening, so appealing to that generation. But they've trained - and taught - that just about the worst thing you can do is say something wrong or bad, they're learning, quickly, not to say a thing. And if you judge em, even a little bit, they're probably done. Because, on some level, they don't feel good about themselves. Not about themselves or the world they live in. Criticism shuts them down.

How Halloween fits into all of that is it's expressive in symbolic ways. You express through clothes, through tweets, through the hair color, your bare feet when most would wear shoes, through what you eat, through your music, through snark. Expression through all the things that separate them further from what I'd argue postmodernism has done to them and subsequent generations - it's left them with no institution they can trust.

Draft saved Draft deleted