1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now you've done it.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think he went on vacation in Altoona to avoid participating in this thread.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Although he's been kind of cheeky lately so perhaps he and the wifey headed to the Poconos.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why have you been stalking me?

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And does anyone feel like they are actually being listened to if the other party doesn't actively engage in the conversation?

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

1. This is a great line and a good point:

Though I'm a Slim Chickens man myself.

2. As to @Alma 's point re: the pace of life, I am sadly of the A.D.I.D.A.S. persuasion.

Yep, all day I dream about sportsjournalists.com.

Alma and doctorquant like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In its extreme, even if well-intentioned, it's a really patronizing position.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's kind of a metaphor. It's not some vow of silence. It's someone talks for awhile, you hear the emotion, you empathize, you ask questions, you leave skepticism for another day.

I mean, a couple days ago, the mother of a Duke one-and-done basketball player said she believed the NCAA was akin to prison or slavery, suggested it was intentionally set up that way - for whites to profit off of blacks - and called for the removal of the NCAA because she doesn't trust it. Based on the reporting that came out of the story, I don't get the sense she was asked a single question challenging the idea that the NCAA is akin to slavery. Personally, I find that kind of insulting to people who experience slavery or prison, but I think part of having the conversation is assuming statements like that are meant as emotional metaphors, and not literal.

Stoney likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Slim's is good. Cane's has become a Christian-y place on Sunday because it's vaguely Christian, and it is open on Sundays.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And it's good.

TowelWaver likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think most mean it metaphorically, as well. But when I attempt to earnestly discuss and let minorities lead, @RickStain accuses me of insincerity, of trying to earn “Intellectual cookies.”

I’m not sure what is expected.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted