1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The United State of Ad Hominem.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You write some good stuff sometimes ... without Will's #tendollarism.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Ketchup would be preferable to any Italian red sauce. That stuff makes me retch.

YankeeFan and poindexter like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You've found a kernel of truth, fed it steroids and it has overgrown even your tremendous intellect.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Olive Garden?

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You’re a monster.

Stoney, Songbird and YankeeFan like this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You’re a monster.

Hermes and JC like this.
  8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I do like plain pasta with nothing on it! And mac 'n' cheese. That has to count for something.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You never disappoint.

YankeeFan and SpeedTchr like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, my post is probably a turn or two too far down the road. So is Arcade Fire's Rococo. So is a lot of what Arcade Fire does, which for about five years was the height of cool, and now it isn't, though the work didn't change much.

But as science, a message board is average sociology at best. That said, I know my fair share of coaches at this point, having covered sports for many years in a past life. It's a leadership crisis for them, nearly across the board.

At any rate, so I'm wrong? Set me right. What bugs me about ol Rick - and I don't know his age, it's just the posture - is that his main point, on repeat, is how stupid the rest of us are. He's not into growing the conversation, he's into correcting it. He's a privilege proctor.

Now, you take a guy like Double Down, and I don't agree with every line he writes, but...that's a person trying to spark some kind of discussion. That I can get down with.

Stoney likes this.
  11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Because modern political discourse is often not thoughtful and often not about being thoughtful. It’s a blood sport.

Shoot, look at what it becomes on here. Perhaps that’s the nature of our own anonymity, but perhaps it’s not. Maybe that’s a function of stakes. I can be thoughtful about a movie and bring people together. I can be thoughtful about a more important issue and be called all sorts of colorful things, possibly by people I like. Maybe that means I’m a millennial man raised to shy from confrontation. Maybe me arguing with people won’t make change or amount to much. I dunno.

(We’re of course living in far and away the most politically and culturally aware time ever. Perhaps there’s a natural balance that shifts toward the inane rather than the trench warfare politics had become)

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted