1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a thing too.

Hell, when the local papers put out there lists of best tacos, or best BBQ, they inevitably feature a majority of restaurants situated in affluent, white neighborhoods, that are ussually owned and chefed by white people, which -- rightly -- pisses off a lot of people.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I watch a lot of PBS (and its little brother Create) and I see WAY more of Pati than I do of Bayless.

That might also be because I think Pati is hot, though, so I tend to notice when she's on.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's because they don't spit on the food at those places. I know all about it.

[​IMG]

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll call a little bit of BS on the tacos there, YF. Maybe where you live the "best" ones are in rich parts of town. Where I live - and where I've been - they either come of out trucks - which tend to park in city center areas - or they're authentic.

BBQ...my take on BBQ is that it's not very hard to do it well, provided you have the equipment, which takes money to buy. I am baffled by the awe for good BBQ. Oh, I like it just fine, especially brisket, especially in Texas. But I've had good BBQ 8,647 times, too, including out of my friend's green egg at least 3,453 times. It takes more skill to make great mashed potatoes, frankly.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Leontyne Price, cultural appropriator?

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, winner of the Charlie Pride/Darius Rucker Award for Cultural Appropriation several times.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is nuts.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pork is pretty easy. Brisket is ridiculously difficult.

As re: mashed potatoes ... get yourself a food mill, and use a mix of half Russets and half Yukon golds.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The BBQ fetish is, what, 15, 20 years old? At some point, we accept it's something many people can do well, and not exactly meat poetry. Ditto with pizza. Well, it's worse with pizza. This is our locally-sourced pork-and-gouda craft pie with our special Pine Tree IPA in the crust and a caper-studded pesto sauce.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting. I'd try it.

Great BBQ is meat poetry. That is a good way to put it. I suspect you haven't really had the great stuff.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, because it's risky, to maybe be wrong.

I'm wrong all the time. Including in this thread. But perfection is the enemy of progress. We sit around rearranging one corner of a room instead of building new rooms.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think that calls for a “second deck!”

Draft saved Draft deleted