1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Move the fences out some modest amount. Make the home run less likely, so the cost-benefit calculation shifts slightly away from it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And deaden the ball.

I keep raising this as a thought experiment: How much less could an MLB player strike out if he actively tried to never strike out? How many strikeouts would Jose Altuve have in a season? Gwynn level? DiMaggio?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Will never happen but if more and more advantage is given to pitchers and fielders for pine-taring the ball and shifting, then decrease the length of home plate an inch on each side to make it 15 inches. Make pitchers have to earn their strikes. You'd see many more walks, and runners on base, which pretty much kills the shift. That's just a quick thought that hasn't been fleshed out. But at some point the scales have to balance back toward hitters.

4. Dick Whitman

I think MLB has long been convinced that fans want to see home runs, and they continually overplay their hand, first resulting in the steroid era, and now the strikeout era.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

More walks?
    MORE WALKS!??!!

TigerVols and Dick Whitman like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Right. The issue isn’t not enough base runners. It is not enough balls put into play.

7. Songbird

Probably but pitchers will have to throw more meaty strikes which will equate into more hits and runs.

8. Dick Whitman

I think that makes sense, for sure.

9. poindexter

I must be the only idiot. I love the shifts. I love the creativeness of them. I love when players beat the shifts. I love bitching when they idiotically don't use what's given to them.

I love when players take extra bases as a result of the shift.

Shifts are practically the only interesting thing in baseball.

Stoney likes this.
  10. poindexter

They will also leave their bats on their shoulders, milking walks. Yawn.
    I've seen Red Sox Yankee games.

11. Songbird

I don't have a problem with the shifting. The Astros used one yesterday on Gallo that brain-fucked him into striking out.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don’t mind the shifts at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted