1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strikeouts are killing baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, May 15, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Having nine players on defense is about all the creativity you need to pull that one off.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Touche. But it's also about sweeping the mental jugular. Strike first. /Kreese

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Shifts have been around since Rogers Hornsby was playing(not to the current extent). It’s not going anywhere.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't mind the shifts, but I think it's stupid that players, especially the lefties, aren't bunting against it. It's a free hit and a baserunner right there for the taking.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Bellinger tried to bunt last night ... on a 3-0 pitch ... with the Dodgers down 2 runs and needing a baserunner. He bunted right back to the pitcher for an easy out ... on a 3-0 pitch!!
    Roberts was incensed. He might be too smart to manage boneheads. Second time in a week he has gotten into it with Bellinger over a dumbass play.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

See, this is what I find interesting. He was bunting to beat a shift.
    On the other hand, it was a 3-0 count, and the take sign was on.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, the take sign was on.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I’m not a baseball guy so this is probably stupid but what about a hard pitch clock the way the NBA has a shot clock?

Conceivably the pitcher would have to work faster and make more mistakes and it would put more balls in play?

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This might sound counterintuitive, but what about calling pitches per the rule book? Open that strike zone up wide and force the batters to swing and defend it. These guys are so used to the tight zone that they lay off of pitches that are 1/2" off. If they're forced to get up there and hack at it, either there will be more base runners or faster outs. Both will help move the game along.

That or drop the mound an inch or two, but that isn't nearly as overpowering an advantage as it was years ago.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or (gulp!) even more strikeouts.

Slacker likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Shrug. Guard the plate. Make contact.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with the game is a lack of balls put in play.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted