1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, the phones are issued by White House Information Technology and the White House Communications Agency, an office staffed by military personnel that oversees White House telecommunications, and there’s no indication they are unsecure. So, why are people describing them as such?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think @outofplace would call this selective editing.

The White House declined to comment for this story, but a senior West Wing official said the call-capable phones “are seamlessly swapped out on a regular basis through routine support operations. Because of the security controls of the Twitter phone and the Twitter account, it does not necessitate regular change-out.”

Trump’s call-capable cellphone has a camera and microphone, unlike the White House-issued cellphones used by Obama. Keeping those components creates a risk that hackers could use them to access the phone and monitor the president’s movements. The GPS location tracker, however — which can be used to track the president’s whereabouts — is disabled on Trump’s devices.

The West Wing official refuted the idea that the presence of a camera and microphone on the president’s phone posed any risk, telling POLITICO, “Due to inherent capabilities and advancement in technologies, these devices are more secure than any Obama-era devices.”

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nobody has to believe when I write this but...

the travel ban has probably helped, to some degree, the strain on the refugee support systems in some cities. There were, in some cases - because I have been told about one - so many coming over in the late Obama era, and the swiftness with which the support services could assist in placing and acclimating refugees to living in America was overtaxed.

This is not what many liberals want to hear. They just don't; they don't get, they don't care to get it, because to get it works against some philosophical ideal they've built up in their mind of, I dunno, Ellis Island, or something.

But let's say you've worked in child support services - with abuse and neglect cases - and you see this odd surge of cases that very much seems to be related to one refugee group whose idea of parenting is so culturally different to most American parents. Or say you have a couple local schools that are average at best in providing ESL support to refugee kids who know little-to-no English. The quality of life refugees experience in America far outpaces what they were experiencing in war-torn nations, but, as Americans we don't measure that way. We measure it, logically, with what will help them to get along in America.

The discussion surrounding immigration has been bizarre and unfortunate for many, many years. One side is far too xenophobic and fearful. Another side is stocked with philosophs and social workers who, at the end of the day, retire to their hipster flats for craft beer and Netflix. They work 50-hour weeks. They work hard. They are not refugees, and their worldview of treating social work cases as just another assignment is troubling.

People who I think really care about this process tend to tell me: We love it where there are fewer families to help, and they like it, too, because it's more loving. But that's just what I hear.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We shouldn't help people in desperate need because the system isn't perfect and neither are they. It's too hard, for us, the wealthiest country with the most human resources that has ever existed. It's the American Can't Do spirit.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Mueller didn't pursue Cohen. It's probably not related to Trump as has been noted since the raid on Cohen's office.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Well By God if a West Wing official says something it must be true.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There is literally a graph, a few posts ago, that proves my point. Like, it's a fact.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

What travel ban? That was just a temporary thing while we figured out what the hell is going on and implemented extreme vetting.

Surely that’s all in place by now ....

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Why, it's almost as if your position on this issue represents selective outrage, or it's evolving in favor of more lax standards, or both.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We got it the first time. Congrats. You caught type posting something ridiculous. We'll stack that against the hundreds of times you've been caught posting something equally ridiculous.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

JESUS CHRIST THERE IS A GRAPH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.