1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He’s an old rich guy who has lied for decades, been rewarded for his BS to the point where he got elected president and now lives in even more of a bubble. I don’t think he knows what the truth is.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Most good businessmen operate wholly differently. They may overrule their subordinates, but they work hard to hear from them, because they're smart enough to know that isolation at the top breeds mistakes. Since he's a psychopath, I doubt this would have happened, but if Spicer had said," nope, can't do it, I quit" when Trump told him to lie about the inauguration crowds, maybe, just maybe, Trump would have learned something.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No way trump learns from anyone. He thinks he’s a genius That he’s the smartest person he’s ever met. He really believes he is brilliant at everything.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He says that stuff, but I don't know that he actually believes it about himself. I think he knows he's a pussy.

doctorquant and Webster like this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are different levels of what people really know deep down and what they convince themselves of to get through life.

To that end, I'm fascinated by what might actually go through Trump's mind. I think he knew deep down as soon as the primaries started getting weird he was in way over his head. But I think he might believe the bullshit he spews.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I did misunderstand.

[​IMG]

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One of the biggest mistakes of Obama’s eight years was not making sure the health care Web site worked well on its rollout. The site worked like a piece of shit and though it got better, the initial impression was really, really poor.

from WaPo:

“During the two years before the disastrous opening of HealthCare.gov, federal officials in charge of creating the online insurance marketplace received 18 written warnings that the mammoth project was mismanaged and off course but never considered postponing its launch, according to government investigators.

The warnings included a series of 11 scathing reviews from an outside consultant — among them a top-10 list of risks drawn up in the spring of 2013 that cited inadequate planning for the website’s capacity and deviations from usual IT standards. A few months before, then-Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius had hired another consultant to review the project and recommend ways to improve its management, but its advice was never shared with the technical staff working on the website.”

The prevailing critique of liberals is often “hey, great idea, but it doesn’t fucking work in practice .” The health care plan has sucked in practice. And that’s where you needed a president who understood “look, assholes, this thing better roll out like a beauty.”

And it didn’t. If the lemon car stuff after he took office did work, health care didn’t. And the school lunch overhaul was a disaster, too. Poor kids ate food that tasted shittier than what they once had.

Steve Jobs was the prick to end them all but damn if he didn’t understand user experience.

Neutral Corner and Slacker like this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I want someone to actually defend the notion that, in 2018, the newly adopted policy of separating children of undocumented immigrants from their families is the fault of the Democrats.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I saw a PBS documentary once about Lyndon Johnson. At 4:30 every afternoon, Johnson would have Sen. Everett Dirksen, the Republican minority leader, in his office. Johnson would lock the door, go into his desk, and pull out a bottle of bourbon with two glasses. After a couple of drinks he'd say something like: "Everett, I HAVE to get this bill passed. Don't you have a couple of judges you need approved?"

And THAT's how shit got done. Not anymore.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Kids to adults: You still suck!

Denied permission to speak at his own graduation, Holy Cross valedictorian delivers speech outside

COVINGTON, Ky. -- Holy Cross High School's graduating valedictorian and student council president learned hours before Friday night's graduation that they would not be allowed to deliver their planned -- and, they thought, pre-approved -- speeches at the ceremony.

They found a pair of megaphones and delivered them outside.

"The young people will win," valedictorian Christian Bales said, "because we're finished being complacent."

The 18-year-old Cold Spring resident had hoped to celebrate the rising tide of American youth advocacy across the political spectrum, mentioning both the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students who have campaigned for reformed gun laws and his own classmates who had attended the March for Life in January, and encourage his classmates to continue striving to make their communities better.

"We are dynamic, we are intelligent, we have a voice, and we're capable of using it in all communities," he said in his speech. "We must take what we've learned in this community and apply it to the world we are about to encounter."

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Obama's big mistake was saying to Pelosi and Reed: You handle the health care bill.
    Perhaps he saw what happened to Clinton when he had Hillary run the health care campaign, but Pelosi and Reed turned out to be every bit as bad as the Republican Congress when Dick Armey and Tom DeLay were running things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.