1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You’re painting with a broad brush that I suppose evangelical Christianity has earned. But it’d be inaccurate to suggest all Christians are like this. Many aren’t - especially among millennial Christians.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Correct. It’s legalism and moralism of a high order.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not just evangelicals, but conservatives who profess to be Christian or Catholic. If following their Christian teachings involves taxes or government spending than they are against it. If it involves using government to tell people how to live, to deny benefits and protections than they are Christians or Catholics again.

Conservatives and Republican Christianity is gross and false. Fake piety.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if you haven't taken in a refugee family, are you allowed to opine on refugee policy?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I advocated for such a thing in this town. We have an old empty school that could fit 500 refugee families.

But I merely made a phone call to offer the possibilities and logistics, and did not actually do ... so by Azraelian Rules I must shut up.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If you’ve never been a sports journalist, are you allowed to opine on sports journalism?

Baron Scicluna and Pilot like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let me add one more.

If you're not a woman, maybe take a seat and just listen.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The cis-centrism is strong with this one.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a brilliant strategy.

Silence all participants in a debate, except for the ones you agree with.

Incredible that people who consider themselves liberal would advocate such a position though.

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The complexity of integrating refugees into American culture is so underrated. Parenting styles alone...

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No it isn't. Of, say, the five most moralistic, legalistic people I know, three are hard-core liberals. Their definition of what's right and what's wrong may differ from a conservative's idea, but they're no less "shut the fuck up and listen" about it.

With anyone - but especially legalists - one must always ask: Do they want to be heard, or do they want to be in charge? Our future or my turn?

And with liberals, we'll see. Because they're gonna get their turn. In a decade's time, maybe a little more, they'll be all the way in charge and we'll see.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think it's been pretty well established that, in any field, the criticism and/or advice and encouragement of someone who has actually done the thing is worth more than words from someone who hasn't.

What Az is getting at it, I believe, is that it's a lot easier to preach the values of living a moral life to others than it is to live a moral life yourself. And it's the ones who are living a moral life who should be given weight in the morality debate.

I would like all children to be taken care of. I have not, however, fostered a child. When it comes to how the foster system should or shouldn't work, people more directly involved should have a greater say than I do. I don't see why that's cause for offence, no matter the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.