1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Convenience. I'll plead guilty to myopia on this one. You are right to point out that all should acknowledge the consistency of the Catholic Church on these things. They oppose both abortion and the death penalty because they see both as acts of humans that should be left to divine authority.
    Opposition to abortion is one position I understand in its general form. That is, if it based on a general sanctity-of-life argument. I still don't respect the notion that a woman should be compelled to carry a pregnancy to term if so doing endangers her health. That, to me, is absurd and, in a purely utilitarian sense, counterproductive if the mother is young enough to have future children.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Becausevwe expect them to be against abortion, and they're showing a willingness to not always spout the company line.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Two things:
    1) Barnicle is a lousy messenger.
    2) No matter what Trump says as he enjoys the fruits of his office and the chance to appear caring and grateful, he dodged the draft and offered no semblance of an argument that he was morally opposed to Vietnam. Via Twitter earlier today, he couldn't resist the urge to exploit Memorial Day as a way to tout his alleged achievements.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Here is the initial post. He didn't say sit down forever, just for a while. I read it as too broad at first, too, but it isn't.

The first line is particularly important. Notice that YF is busy attacking the wording of the message because the actual content is a reminder of why his side is wrong on this one. If the goal is to avoid abortion at all costs, those people should be supporting sex education and contraception. That they won't support those two reveals that it is about forcing their morals, their faith, on others. It's about control.

Damn the silly liberals for wanting some form of consistency. Damn them for thinking women should have more of a say in what happens to their own bodies.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, KellyAnne, but I’ll pass on listening to Pig Vomit. I’m eating soon, thanks. And wow ... he’s giving a prepared speech written by someone else. This morning the tweet he sent out was written by him as he passed his well done steak that was glazed in ketchup from last night. I wonder which one is the true Trumpy.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn liberals like this ...

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Presidential tweeting, a play in two acts:

HanSenSE, Inky_Wretch and BadgerBeer like this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has any evidence ever been presented that shows his deferment was anything other than a legitimate medical deferment?

If yes, please provide a link.

9. YankeeFan

LOL. A picture of himself.

It’s perfect. Just like he remembered Rosa Parks with a picture of himself.

This is the contrast you want us to notice?

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Here’s How the FBI Investigation Into Russia and Trump Campaign Actually Started

"Let me put my cards on the table: The counterintelligence investigation of Donald Trump was kicked off by not one, not two, but multiple SIGINT reports which set off alarm bells inside our Intelligence Community. This has been publicly known, in a general way, for some time. A little over a year ago, the Guardian reported, based on multiple intelligence sources, that the lead was taken by Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ – Britain’s NSA), which “first became aware in late 2015 of suspicious ‘interactions’ between figures connected to Trump and known or suspected Russian agents, a source close to UK intelligence said. This intelligence was passed to the U.S. as part of a routine exchange of information.”

"As the Guardian tactfully phrased the matter, “GCHQ was at no point carrying out a targeted operation against Trump or his team or proactively seeking information. The alleged conversations were picked up by chance as part of routine surveillance of Russian intelligence assets. Over several months, different agencies targeting the same people began to see a pattern of connections that were flagged to intelligence officials in the U.S.” In other words, Western intelligence agencies that were eavesdropping on the Kremlin and its spies—not Trump or any of his retinue—heard numerous conversations about Trump and his secret Russian connections. As I’ve told you previously, senior Kremlin officials got very chatty about Trump beginning in late 2014, on the heels of his infamous Moscow trip, and NSA knew about this.

In truth, NSA understood quite a bit about Trump’s connections to Moscow, and by mid-2016 it had increased its efforts to get to the bottom of the mystery regarding the candidate’s Russian ties. In response to urgent FBI requests for more information, NSA rose to the occasion, and by the time that Donald Trump officially accepted the Republican nomination in mid-July 2016, “We knew we had a Russian agent on our hands,” as a senior NSA official put it to me recently."

11. YankeeFan

I guess these tweets went unnoticed:

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And Lance Armstrong was clean because he passed all those tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.