1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Nice comedy show you got there. Be a shame if anything happened to it."

goalmouth likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, when election day 2018 comes, and the Dems win the House and Senate, I suppose Dems won't be allowed to celebrate for the same reasons?

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Meh. He's probably just a misunderstood, Hollywood liberal.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Luckily nothing bad ever happened during the Obama presidency or you wouldn't have been able to post about anything you felt was remotely positive on the politics thread for eight years.

5. YankeeFan

If @Baron Scicluna won't take the job as DNC spokesperson, can we get @typefitter to take it?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If Republicans gave a shit about those kind of things, I'd happily join their party. And I'll be happy to criticize Democrats if they don't do anything about them if in fact they do take back branches of government. I not interested in celebrating anything political anymore. I'm just hopeful something -- and I don't give a fuck if it's Trey Gowdy and he becomes president -- will rescue us from this malignant crime boss we currently have in office.

7. YankeeFan

Does someone have a criticism of the D'Souza pardon on the merits?

A person's political views, no matter how repugnant, should have nothing to do with whether or not they deserve a pardon.

8. YankeeFan

Flint's water crisis predates the Trump presidency, as do the problems with Puerto Rico's electrical grid.

If there was some easily available solution to either of these problems, that was being ignored, you might have some point. Is that the case?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, it's not a cop out. Roseanne's is worse. It's easy to say that. Is there some limit of time one must wait after her racist tweet to find something else offensive - less offensive! - but offensive anyway? The Roseanne thread went 28 pages. I thought we were supposed to be bemoaning the length and depth of it.

The reason I started its own thread is because I don't see it as a competition with Roseanne. It's bad on its own merits, which is less bad than Roseanne, but still, to me, bad.

Now, maybe I'm wrong - and what Bee said is truly not a problem. I think calling Ivanka Trump a feckless c-word defeats the whole purpose of the criticism in the first place, unless the purpose was to play to the crowd of people who already agree with her.

My sense is Trump's reign will go on like this, bumbling along, rants, raves, inarticulate answers, and then it'll be over, and the left will be in charge, and what interests me more is what the left will do when it can't view itself as the victimized underdog.

Roseanne represents a kind of cultural death in America. Bee represents where culture is going. (As does Fallon, who doesn't even bother and holds dance parties and box games and lip-sync battles because he doesn't know how to find a middle ground, so he just avoids it.)

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

D'Souza pleaded guilty. He wasn't a victim. He was prosecuted because he broke the law, not because he wrote a few books and made a few movies that Obama didn't like.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Didn't he make the movie that sparked the Benghazi killings?

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.