1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm hoping she joins Roseanne (and Spinal Tap, of course) in the Where Are They Now? file.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

garrow and melock like this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is fucking annoying. Live your own goddamn life.

tapintoamerica and QYFW like this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You can read your daughter a book AND watch Paw Patrol with her AND help her put on a half-dozen Band-Aids for no reason and still type your thoughts from time to time.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

K

6. John B. Foster

Ya spending 14 hours here means you give your child extra attention.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How much attention does the average working parent give their child? If you don’t have to be chained to a desk all day, I’m guessing you’d be much more productive in just about every facet of life — from spending time with your kids to using social media.

Also, someone could post here once a year and be a completely worthless parent/human being. You’re trying to draw a connection that is impossible for you to know.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Na. Guess I can't blame you, but you're still avoiding the actual connection you tried to make. You said:

You weren't talking about a mythical Democrat adult child of the future. You were talking as if the rules had recently changed, as if the rules were recently different for a D president's kids, so that means you were talking about how people would have reacted if the target was Malia and Sasha Obama, or maybe Chelsea Clinton when her dad was in office. (And, HEY, lucky for us, we know how people reacted when they called Chelsea Clinton ugly when she was 12 years old. Rush Limbaugh or John McCain came out just fine.)

Anyway, of course, there's no connection between the reaction to criticism of, say, Malia Obama and Ivanka Trump. Ivanka is a member of the administration, important enough that she sits in important meetings in place of the president himself. She has an office in the West Wing. She helps make decisions and is one of POTUS's closest advisors. It's not about whether or not it's OK to call her a C. It's not OK in my book. But it's ridiculous to apply remotely the same standards to our words about Ivanka that we would about an Obama child or Barron Trump.

You got caught up in the moment. You made an exaggerated comment. It's ok, man. It happens.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    outofplace likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A couple quick thoughts ... and for the record, Foster, I'm on my dinner break and not forsaking parenting duties:

1. As others noted, big difference between criticizing a president's kids who are still in school and a president's kids who have roles in the administration. Who's the last Democratic president who had adult children while he was in office? LBJ?

2. This war of racist/obscene tweets from Roseanne Barr, Samantha Bee and whomever else is followed by maybe 2 percent of Americans. And garbage like this decreases that number by the hour. Neither side is "winning."

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think the idea that Trump's grown children — who literally serve in his fucking administration, either officially or as defacto PR clowns — should be off limits from criticism because they are his children, might truly be the dumbest fucking thing I've read in years. Barron Trump shouldn't be criticized, shouldn't be the subject of SNL skits, shouldn't be mocked or even mentioned in any way. But his idiot adult children who literally act as part of his political crime syndicate, could not be more fair game.

Chelsea Clinton, btw, is also fair game, and this idea that she should be treated like American royalty — which Chelsea has herself pushed to shield her from criticism — is also bullshit. This was not true when she was a kid in the White House, but she chose to entire politics.

Ivanka Trump is a bad person. And it is ok to call her a bad person. She is not a child, she is an arm of his political crime syndicate, and she cannot duck behind the shield of family when it's convenient for her.

All of this, again, is such a silly debate. A hurricane and government negligence combined to kill more people that 9/11 and we're ignoring it to have a heated discussion about the civility of political language.

11. John B. Foster

After school/day care? The entire night. Yankee Fan is here 10+ hours a day. His wife must be awesome.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You are the strangest case of TDS I’ve seen here. It’s interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.