1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sarah Huckabee is throwing a gimlet eye at that one...

2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Trump is a RINO. He pardoned a black boxer who was convicted of trafficking a white woman. He is friends with a notorious Armenian family associated with defending OJ Simpson and having carnal relations with affirmative action beneficiaries.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's your clarification:

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Once again, the moron-in-chief defies conventional norms in a way that he thinks benefits himself. ... but skirts around the edges of the law.

This morning:

There is supposed to be an embargo on the number, for the reason that if you have advance knowledge, you can trade it. Markets react to those numbers, because it supposedly gives a hint about what the Federal Reserve may do.

After the tweet, presupposing a "good" number, yields were at session highs and the dollar surged a little.

The president is supposed to be given those numbers in advance. The Council of Economic advisors gets the numbers the day before.

This is the directive from the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs regarding their advance knowledge of the number: "employees of the Executive Branch shall not comment publicly on the data until at least one hour after the official release time."

There is a good reason for this. ... not that it has ever stopped cronyism within the BLS from giving the numbers in advance to trading desks who then profit off of it. But the president? I can't stand this guy.

BTW. ... for anyone wondering how we can be beyond full employment, but still adding jobs. ... the labor force participation rate dropped. There are tens of millions of working age Americans who don't work, who simply don't get counted in this game of Kabuki Theater. We can get the unemployment rate to a negative number, the way they "count" it.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The statistics used to measure the US economy and the international economy are like trying to paint the Sistine Chapel with a half-empty box of Crayolas. All the skill and effort in the world is only going to get you so far. I remain bemused by the fact that a change of 28,000 jobs (consensus 195K vs. reporting 223K) is considered a market moving event in an economy with over 100 million jobs. But then, everything that moves the market bemuses me. When I was their age, the pro traders of my acquaintance were coked-up 28 year olds. Sciences marches on, however, and now traders are computers programmed to behave like coked-up 28-years olds, but more efficiently.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You believe this, but are outraged by the President's tweet?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

David Drucker of the Washington Examiner pointed out that if Trump doesn't tweet about the jobs report in future months, markets will assume it's a weak report and react accordingly.

8. The Big Ragu

Don't get me going. This was actually a really good report. ... Not the BS that sometimes gets passed off as good. The last 6 or 7 years we have added a boatload of part time waiter and retail jobs. ... to replace what were once full-time better paying manufacturing jobs. This report was broad based. For example, there were a lot of construction jobs (better paying), during a month in which the weather wasn't even particularly conducive to it.

But markets are very algorithmic today. It's not the numbers, per se, it is reading tea leaves. EVERYTHING -- from the currency to the debt to the equity markets -- has been destroyed. There is no honest price discovery left. All that matters are the carry trades, and that all follows from how much the various central banks around the world are creating debt (and margin / leverage). It's been stunning over the last decade.

As long as it continues, the "risk on" trades continue. But there is constant fear that they are either going to back off, or we are going to see a credit crisis due to what they have created. So the tea leave readers use these numbers to try to guess what the central banks (in this case, the Federal Reserve) is going to do. They are actually not focused on the actual jobs numbers anymore. It's accepted that it is a nonsensical number. Now it is the wage growth number, in this misguided belief that the Federal Reserve is going to put on the brakes if "inflation" (as the term gets misused) takes off. When in reality, the inflation is all around us, because of how much they have increased M2 money supply over the last decade and how much it has driven up asset prices artificially, setting up their next mess. In any case, the Fed Funds futures move on the numbers, as people reprice the odds of rate hikes, and that spills over into the currencies and debt markets.

As for the report itself. ... their numbers (speaking generally) are unadulterated bullshit. And trust me, I have looked at this in a way most people wouldn't have the patience to. To give one egregious example, let's say you are someone who had a manufacturing job 15 years ago, then the financial crisis hit, and they lost their job. ... And today, they are hustling 3 side jobs struggling to get by, and earning less (as your debt has increased, thanks to the actual inflation the Fed has created). The BLS actually counts all three jobs and then some politician then claims, "I created 2 new jobs!" And all that, while tens of millions of working age people have just given up and collect a variety of government benefits to subsist.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. The Big Ragu

That was the exact conversation I had with someone at about 8 a.m. this morning. It's common sense. When he doesn't tweet next month, we know a 25,000 print is coming.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how much different Trump's presidency would look without Twitter.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw this on the Twitters ...

... and reminded me of one of the best political commercials ever. The way the guy's voice turns sinister when talking about Varilek.

Raucous National Corn Dog Day party? Swanky D.C. neighborhood? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.