1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Of course you love it. Most predictable post ever. Lot of worthy criticism of President Obama but this was a slapdash joke.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

You understand, right "the King of Hyperbole" is the guy you voted for for President, right? .... and I'm certain I can produce more, "the unemployment numbers are fake" talking points from all your other favorite right-wing media celebrities, too.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He said he wants to “empower” conservatives throughout Europe, and strongly hinted at the far-right Austrian chancellor being a prototype of the people he would like to “empower,” and cited specific conservative policies as examples of the type he would like to see enacted throughout the continent.

Which is totally “staying out of politics.”

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Unlike those nice, ethical Queens guys.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI, the jobs numbers ARE fake. They have no idea how many jobs were added or subtracted during the month. It's not like they have the ability to go out and do any kind of accurate count. They use various models and then make seasonal adjustments. And then they put out a headline number that people talk about as some kind of gospel. It's not.

Putting aside the differences between the U3, U6, etc. numbers, and what they count as a job and who gets counted and who doesn't. ... They are doing very little actual counting, the way I believe most people would assume.

Among their models, is a net birth/death model. They use it to forecast (not count) how many jobs were added or subtracted based on new businesses starting and established businesses shutting down. The do a very small sampling and then some academics manipulate the number.

On Friday, they told us that we added 223,000 jobs last month. 215,000 of those jobs came from their birth / death model forecast. What if the model they use has flawed methodology or is just plain inaccurate?

The ACTUAL number of jobs added or subtracted could be anything. ... I can all but guarantee that in most months, the BLS number isn't an actual reflection of any reality (unless they somehow lucked onto it). And in fact, they throw out these nonsensical numbers, and very often go back and do very big revisions to them in the months that follow. Few people report the revisions, though (which still may or may not even be accurate).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It has got to be the fakest thing in the world.

ON JUNE 1, the government knows the net jobs gained and lost from May. It defies logic.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Going back to Inky's post, he never uses the term anti-establishment conservatives.

He never talks about interfering in the political/electoral process.

As usual, the response to what was said is overblown, and not based in fact.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"I didn't say it! I mean, sure that's what I think. But I didn't say it!"

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

An innocent man, focused on the national interest.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Donald Trump has never been conflicted in his life. He also thinks that’s a compliment.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Morning Joe segment after they aired the NBC/Clinton interview was off the hook.

What you saw there, I think, is the end of Bill Clinton's life as a public figure in this country. Because of that interview, I don't think he's campaigning anywhere ever again, unless he can clean it up, and fix it, pretty quickly.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is fascinating to compare Trump's reaction to the Mueller investigation with that of Jared Kushner's. Wacky tweets and even wackier attorneys for the President, while has son-in-law hired a top-notch criminal defense attorney who keeps himself off TV and Kushner himself has been as silent as Mueller. These moves seem to be working for him, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.