1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is probably true. In so much as you can measure balance of trade... because supply chains are truly global, and many items have parts that came from many places, and they don’t measure trade deficits and surpluses accurately, as a result.

But it is irrelevant, which is what drives me nuts about how this moron has shifted the conversation to a 17th century mercantile one.

Trade deficits don’t mean the U.S. is losing money or getting ripped off. It simply means we are trading dollars for stuff. Which equates to two things: as part of Breton Woods in the 1970s when the world did a monetary reset, we got the rest of the world to accept the dollar as a global reserve currency. We have benefitted from that in a multitude of ways, not the least is that everyone else needs dollars as reserves. We parlayed that into us trading those dollars (which we create out of thin air, because the major thing with Breton Woods is that they abandoned sound money) for cheap goods. It has given us decades of “stuff” on credit. While we lost our ability to create things, which would allow us to actually pay for all the toys. The dollar as the reserve currency guarantees trade deficits.

Aside from that, even without that status, all a trade deficits mean is that we traded more dollars for their stuff, than they traded their currency for our stuff. We get cheaper goods out of the deal. If our idiot president takes his nonsense too far, people are going to learn what more expensive stuff does to the average person.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Can't expect much from a bigot who calls neo Nazis "very fine people".

poindexter likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ragu,

I don’t want to sound stupid, but what is “foreign trade” anyway? Is it mostly between corporations with some governmental oversight depending on what the goods are?

And I’m sure there is plenty of corporations to government transactions too, and even government to government. Seems to me most of the trade is between corporations though.

There’s also trade that doesn’t involve goods, like intellectual property, which should have some price tag attached.

Anyway, what brought my question to mind was that I just bought something from Canada on eBay the other day. Would that count in the trade statistics? I doubt it would be captured (way too small), but maybe. I bought it before the G7 - hope the seller follows through!

Thanks,
    VB

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Canada stuff is silly. Can’t think of a country in the world that is less of a threat. To anyone. On anything.

Slacker likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Luxembourg? Liechtenstein? Estonia? Andorra? San Marino?

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The Baron of Banalia scores again!

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You should have gone to a Ted Nugent concert during that time. He came pretty close. Music sucks though.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Better than the hippy dreck you listen to!

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whataboutis--- err, nevermind.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isbell and Sturgill are hippie dreck these days?

I mean, I still love my jam bands. But those two are on heavy rotation now.

I'm even trying to learn to listen to Liquid Metal in Sirius/XM.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.