1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running North Korea freakout thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Or the other way around.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

America desperately wants to spike the football. But it can't. For once you spike the ball and do the Ickey Shuffle, you've embarrassed your summit partner and made him rethink his position and any concessions he may have made.

Summits are by and large useless when one of the nations continually insists on zero-sum game analytics.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

If this is a DB I apologize, but yesterday T. Boone Pickens of all people posted the following tweet. "Negotiating advice 101: If you want to make a deal real bad, you will make a really bad deal. #Singapore Summit."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He actually tweeted that before the summit. And his spokesman was careful to say it wasn't critical of Trump, but more just a warning that when you want a deal really bad, you are vulnerable to making a bad deal.

I am fascinated by Pickens. I hope I am as spry and active as he is, if I reach his age. One thing about him that is interesting. ... he has thrown a lot of his money at Republican candidates. But he has been VERY spare in the giving this year, and has given a sum total of ZERO to Trump's reelection campaign. As much as he says things, and then a spokesman tempers them, Pickens is making it very clear with his checkbook that he doesn't support the president.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

To that, I think the only way this deal results in significant changes is if Kim buys into Trump’s cult of personality. As we’ve seen in the past decade, that’s the one thing that overrides all.

7. Michael_ Gee

There is a significant subset of really wealthy people who despise Trump as a poseur and as a caricature of all of them.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I think part of the thing between the two of them is that they are both bullies. That we know. When trump is around other mature, human people, he can not deal with that. Inside he feels like the inferior man that he is. When he and kim are together he has a chance to feel superior because even though kim is the bigger bully he is not use to people contradicting him at all. He is never the subordinate and does not seem to be able to take the lead on this meeting. trump can take advantage of that, as we have seen he has been the one to--as usual--man handle kim around, lead in the conversations with the press and just act like the big shot in the room. kim is not use to that and it gives don the chance to be a big shot. This makes him totally love kim, that and the trying to please his bully daddy "issues" that he has shown by loving all the tough guy leaders out there.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

It probably became a lot easier once the hard right in this country decided North Korea's dictator was no longer a member of the Axis of Evil and is someone we can trust and make friends with. But I suppose only Nixon could go to China and only Trump could go to North Korea.

10. Michael_ Gee

The danger is that of course Kim will not give up the nukes and Trump might come to realize (Bolton will help this process if he can) that he got played. Then all bets are off.
    PS: I have to believe that there are hundreds of scientists and engineers in Iran, a much wealthier and educated country than North Korea, who were instructed this morning to go balls out on developing an ICBM.

Pete likes this.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Right, because North Korea were all willing to meet with a POTUS before, he just didn’t want to.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Seriously, man.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted