1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Great result for Iceland. That was fucking awesome.

That, plus yesterday Spain v. Portugal—what a fabulous game... This World Cup has had an electric start. Hope it continues into the knockout rounds for once.

Big Circus likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They don't even have 500k people in the country. You think the commentators don't know they went to the quarters in 16? Think the point is just for them to reach the WC
    is still kind of Cinderella, especially when countries like Italy and the Netherlands didn't.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's the smallest country ever to qualify for the World Cup playing its first ever WC match against big bad Argentina and arguably the greatest player ever.

The Cinderella spin was justified on those grounds alone.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I am wandering around Tirana and there is a huge-ass tv, like concert-sized, set up in the town center. It’s raining but lots of people are watching.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's also worth bearing in mind most Americans haven't spared a moment's thought for Iceland since the last time they saw Mighty Ducks 2, so the facts stated by Mr. Gee are likely lost on them.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hate these arguments. If we go by population, India and China should dominate every sport.

Iceland made the quarters of the Euros 2 years ago. They are very good.

And I hate shoehorning American sports analogies to international teams. Michigan State - Notre Dame from 50 years ago? Didn't like it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Went on my usual long Saturday ride. On the way back home, I spun through downtown and past two bars. Both were open early. Both had chalkboards out advertising World Cup (and CWS) on the TVs. Pretty decent crowds for 10 am.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm all aboard the Denmark train - my Danish neighbors were supportive of the Caps (Lars Eller!) so I'm returning the favor. Even ordered a jersey.

I enjoy soccer, wouldn't call myself a major fan. But I fucking LOVE the World Cup.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The Peru-Denmark announcer is like Ray Hudson on meth.

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

This is their first World Cup. There have been numerous teams who have done well in qualifying only to flame out in the group stage. And there have been Euro runs in the past.

12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Broadcasters for the World Cup tend to treat the group stage as broadcasts for casual fans, not people who would be aware of Iceland's run in the Euros in 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted