1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Come se dice “tie” in Espanol?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

tristísimo

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How does Fox make money off broadcasting the World Cup? No in-game commercials. While there are sponsor logos just below the score box, I have noticed that they are not in place over the entire game. In other words, an automaker can put its brand on the screen, but this doesn't allow them to promote a specific product.
    It obviously works. Just wondering how.

4. tapintoamerica

A map of World Cup interest -- on 538, I think -- indicated Trumpist states don't care about the World Cup. But to the extent they do, they can't be happy about this Mexico v Germany result.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Canta y no llores! El Tri se gane!

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That’s definitely true. Kansas City might be the one exception because Sporting is on a hell of a tear right now and the Royals are eyeballing 115 losses.

But you get 45 minutes outside of Kansas City and no one cares.... Especially with no U.S. team in it.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But if they hear "Mexico is putting up a wall ..."

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am relearning the iron law of international soccer broadcast feeds, which I learned during Euro 2016 while in France. The following three sets of individuals and only these three may be shown in crowd reaction shots. 1 (also 1A). Cute girls. 2. Cute kids. 3. Moron dudes in stupid costumes, preferably really fat dudes.

PaperDoll likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You could have given the Swiss goalie a broom and he still wouldn't have touched that shot. Great goal.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I live in a red city in a red county in a red state. After church, we decided to go to a brew pub for lunch. It was packed with people watching soccer.

11. tapintoamerica

Who were they rooting for in Mexico-Germany?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For the record, Iceland Argentina paid +340 to tie. Not exactly earthshattering upset.

Draft saved Draft deleted