1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Werder doesn't like women helping women

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

You guys have been following the news with Kellen Winslow, right? Am I on the right planet?

CD Boogie and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My bad. Didn't know original tweet was referring to Winslow - I had it in my head it was somebody else. Yeah, that's bad.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't really blame her. Or most young journalists. They overshare and over-emote on devices. It's so hard-wired into who they are I'm not sure they know how to stop. I blame their bosses.

wicked and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I felt bad for how things went down for Werder too (and went down for many others). But you can't troll someone making an innocuous comment about an entry-level job. Like most dips into the Twitter cesspool, there's zero upside.

wicked likes this.
  5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

SI has had a recent pipeline of quirkier SBNation writers. They grabbed Holly Anderson, Martin Rickman and went hard after another writer that I’m not sure how public it is.

Alma likes this.
  6. dirtybird

I’d argue it was showing that level of, for lack of a better word, butthurt on twitter. He’s an accomplished 58-year old journalist. He can act like one.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I confess, I hadn't heard anything on Winslow ... but damn. Might be going up the river for a very long time.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If he goes on the witness stand hope he tells them

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's claiming butthurt on behalf of young male sportswriters that he teaches. Which I don't personally buy.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

11. dirtybird

That seems not great. “How can I stand before the youngs and tell them it’ll be fair when they try to go job hunting?”

If you got canned like he did and are explaining the kids need to know they’ll get a fair shake ... I got nothing for him.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mina Kimes, who is very, very good, was nevertheless a Bloomberg News reporter before ESPN hired her.

I think it's possible that very good women sportswriters are being overlooked on every level. But, shoot, Wilder and Kimes do not make that case. They jumped from non-sports reporting right into good sports jobs that have become great sports jobs. If we want to say "well, hell yes, and many more are needed before it's ever remotely equal," that's fine, but I don't think either one of them got a bad turn here.

*In my own personal experience* - which was not in a major market - there was long a desire and effort to get women and people of color into jobs. Often, there were just...no bites. Or few bites. Talented women and people of color just got better jobs, in bigger markets, quickly, from media organizations with the money and interest in improving the diversity of their voices. This was often true when I worked for awhile with students who wanted internships. Women, on the whole, did well there.

Is there a bias against women sportswriters that makes it hard for them to get jobs? Maybe there is at a higher level than I ever worked or a lower level. At my level, that didn't seem to be the case.

This is always tricky stuff, and it's going to get trickier as we go on. Because white men have dominated the field. And it's possible more white men will expect to do the same. And there will be white men left out. And that's just going to be the way it is. And, from a societal POV, that's how it has to be. One way or another, tho, someone's getting left out. And that's never something anyone enjoys, even if the right people, demographically speaking, are getting cut from the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted