1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ed Werder doesn't like women helping women

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was pretty successful in getting women and people of color into jobs.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Mr. Werder should be encouraging students and applicants of every kind.

In fact, as lucky as he's been, at his age he should be leveraging that success on behalf of women and minority hires.

When people call to offer Ed Werder work he does not not want, instead of just saying thank you no, he should supply that employer with a list of recommendations for women and minority alternatives.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  4. THAT quote was referring to Winslow Jr.?
    No wonder I don't follow her.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is what he ought to tell them if he’s so very sad their maleness might hurt them in the hiring process: If you are really good and want it more than anyone out there, someone will hire you. If that means you have to work twice as hard as a female classmate, congrats, you now understand what it’s been like to break into the biz for women for 50 years.

Once you get a big job, you either sink or swim on your ability. You vagina or penis won’t save you.

BTW, getting hired at SI to be a senior writer is not like it was 15 years ago, and that's ok. The business changes.

Also, guess how many female senior writers SI had before they made Jenny Vrentas one a few years ago (and only when they created MMQB, which was supposedly separate from SI)?

Zero.

BurnsWhenIPee and BrendaStarr like this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But sometimes you don't sink or swim on your ability, as he well knows. If I had a class of 20 aspiring sportswriters, of any gender, I'd tell them that only five of you will be in this business in 10 years. If that. What else interests you? What's your backup plan?

And tell them about how what you think is a cute comeback on Twitter can turn into a huge crapstorm that will never fully vanish.

dirtybird and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Probably bc she still has a job to lose. I like her stuff and used to follow her on Twitter when I was on it. Apparently Ed Werder follows her, too, which is part of what makes his stupid comments somewhat ironic.

8. CD Boogie

That’s rather paternalistic. He got lucky in his job and now that he got shitcanned, he should be trying to find jobs for women and minorities? That’s not a human nature I’ve ever encountered.

9. Double Down

If we're talking about an entry level job at Sports Illustrated, once you have it, you're either going to sink or swim based on your ability. They're not going to keep someone around for more than a year or two if they're a man, or a woman, who cannot write and report. The idea that men never get the opportunity for those jobs is nonsense. Look at the masthead! I could tick off their last 10 hires and at least half would be white men. Some have worked out great (Greg Bishop; Ben Reiter; Michale Rosenberg). Others less so (Thayer Evans.). Some of them moved on to other places (Pete Thamel). No one is denying white dudes the opportunity to work at SI. Ed Werder is nuts if he thinks so. And once they get there, some do great and some don't. Same with their female hires, except I'd argue that they've been MORE willing to let men skip the "staff writer" level where some of their talented women are (Vrentas for a long time; Stephanie Apstein; Joan Niesen) and go straight to senior writer.

If we're talking about a general class of journalism students, I agree. Maybe three in a class of 20 will be doing it in 10 years, depending on the school. (I'd argue it's still a very good education). But we're literally talking about getting in the door at one of the coveted outlets in the history of our profession. That is what Werder is referencing, pretending men are disadvantaged by Charlotte trying to extend the ladder down and potentially explain to other female writers how they might grab it.

10. Double Down

This right here, tagging Barstool because you're getting dunked on by another woman, is one of the single most pathetic moves I've ever seen in the history of Twitter.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 8.59.01 PM.png

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. CD Boogie

And Carl Lewis should be trying to get white guys to do track...

Draft saved Draft deleted