1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying rooting for the soccer have-nots, like Croatia. Enjoyed the second half quite a bit.

Also, I'm really clueless about what fouls draw yellow and/or red cards. Is it intent, or the severity of the foul?

In the Argentina-Croatia match, a guy was on the ground, the play had been whistled dead, and an Argentina player almost kicked him in the head. How was that not a red card?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Croatia isn't really a have-not. More of a modest middle class soccer power. Modric and Rakitic are legit world class stars.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Just to piss people off... maybe Randy Moss?

Maybe Ovi before this Cup?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Page 85 of the 2016-17 Laws of the Game spells everything out in detail, if you want to go that deep. "Serious foul play" and "violent conduct" are both red-card offenses by the letter of law but, as always, referees have ample room for interpretation for what passes as 'serious', 'violent', and 'intent'.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I didn't see the play but the short answer is yes. Intent, severity and location all play a role in whether it's a foul, yellow or red and all of it is more or less at the ref's discretion. Going for the ball but hitting the player can be a simple foul. Going in recklessly can earn a yellow (basically your actions weren't going to win the ball and was dangerous). The ref can also give a yellow if he's warned you too many times and he wants to put a stop to physical play. Fouls in the box are automatic yellows. Straight reds are earned from a challenge so dangerous the likelihood of injury was extreme or if you foul to stop a goal scoring opportunity.

Kicking a guy in the head is a red. Swinging your foot dangerously near someone's is likely a yellow. It really depends what the ref saw and what else was going on. The ref might not give a yellow if both teams were jawing and pushing. Again I didn't see the play so I can only guess why the ref didn't give a yellow.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No. He’s one of the best players to ever play and has won at the club level.

People seem to forget him carrying an average Argentinian team to the finals 4 years ago.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How many times was Messi fouled today? Ten? More? He was double and tripled-team each time he had the ball near the box, let alone in it. The rest of Argentina did absolutely nothing, even when Messi tried to be the passing playmaker. It's not a strong side. Without him, remember, they don't even qualify.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jordan would have found a way to win.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We are teaching all those point guards who didn't make the league how to play soccer, no?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You just said Messi is one of the best to ever play. Shouldn't he have found a way to win?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus. You really want to go down this path?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How many world cups has Ronaldo won?

Draft saved Draft deleted