1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Didn't American courts just decide that businesses don't have to serve LGBT customers? And didn't the right celebrate that decision? What's the difference? No member of this administration should enjoy a quiet meal in a restaurant again. They should be hounded for the rest of their lives.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The question isn't CAN a business refuse to serve someone. It's SHOULD it do that (and because of a political disagreement).

I personally hate this kind of thing, because it opens the door for every bigot, hate-monger and everyday shithead to deny service to people and chalk it up to "my convictions."

If I have a restaurant and Sarah Sanders comes in, serving her a meal isn't an endorsement of her or Trump. Nobody thinks that. You are in business to serve meals and profit from it. Just do it. You don't have to fawn over her the way you would a celebrity you like. But they shouldn't have gone there, in my opinion.

As for what you are saying, since they did make that statement, yup, when you make bold statements like that, there are consequences. That is going to mean the Yelp Reviews, the people boycotting their business, etc. And honestly, they deserve it. Just as the bigot who won't bake a cake for a gay couple opens himself up to a boycott from people who don't like his ideas. I hope they thought that through when they gave her the boot, because if they didn't, they basically did their business and their livelihood (what it should have been about) potential harm, and for what purpose?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So who,is going to be surprised when trump has numbers tattooed on the deported so they can be recognized when they try and return? And tattoo can be a euphemism for a subcutaneous micro GPS device.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lying to someone's face for a living is hardly treating them with respect.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Clubs and bars have been denying entry to ugly and fat people for decades. Certain people, in the opinion of the owners, degrade the aesthetic experience. Who wants to to be in a restaurant when the Huckabee Klan straps on the feed bag?

OscarMadison and Iron_chet like this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tell the Supreme Court this. They ruled what they ruled. The other team can run the same plays.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

One of the interesting sidebars to the whole Trump disaster is this matter of 'civility.' It's a corollary to the question of punching Nazis.

How polite are we supposed to be when the people we disagree with are demonstrably racist? And using the force of the state to act on that racism?

As I've said here before, the risk of excessive civility is that we all schoolmarm ourselves straight into the gulag.

Per Burke/not Burke, all it takes for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    BadgerBeer and Slacker like this.
  9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A witch hunt is probably super scary if you are, in fact, a witch.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Much the same way he threw the Gold Star parents under the bus during the campaign. Anyone surprised by this isn't paying attention.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you think kicking people out of the United States convinces them that they should rethink their politics or does it convince them that the other side is a bunch of hateful a-holes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.