1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Her standup act still needs some work before the next open mic night.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

As does her father's

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I just don’t see how my side slipping into a-hole-ness helps anybody, short or long term. Fighting petty bullshit with petty bullshit just means a bigger pile of petty bullshit. Plus, it plays into the hands of the extreme right’s persecution complex. It’s just a bad look, and unnecessary, and proves nothing. Give them their food and take their damn money and run your business and put your energies into voting these fuckers out at the soonest opportunity.

Maybe it’s personal. Maybe I do think I’m above that kind of thinking, and that I need to be above that kind of thinking to help keep focus on the abominable way this administration treats people who aren’t white and rich. I think maybe there are better and more effective forms of protest.

I would like to think some people have changed their minds in the last two weeks, or at least conceded that the issue is far more complex than anybody’s understanding will allow. I doubt it, but I’d like to think that. I just don’t think adding fuel to the Whatabout fire is the answer.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe they thought she was a lesbian or black, or both.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

No.

SnarkShark, QYFW and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My post was more a commentary on the nature and low quality of that specific tweet. Sorry for being unclear.

That said, people, even restaurant owners, get to pick their activism.

And some people - perhaps this restaurant owner, for whatever reason - don't think rounding up refugee children or asylum-seeking families and throwing them into camps is "petty bullshit."

So the owner acted. As is the privilege of free people in a free society.

And as Ragu points out, did so at great risk to their business.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because she's gay?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Technically, it can be. That's a moderator's call.

That said, when a poster has a history of such things, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt from the moderators.

9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Is there a point when you would be good with this action? Would you serve OJ? I am not trying to pick a fight but I am curious.

10. outofplace

Thank you. That is a good explanation. Much better than my response.

11. outofplace

They certainly can do it, but I'm not sure it is a good idea. It just further legitimizes this kind of behavior, which seems to be what many members on the Right want.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If the 1st Amendments free excerise clause can allow business owners, or homeowners as some conservatives have alleged , to refuse to serve gay couples why can’t the same amendment’s freedom of association pursuant to Boy Scouts v Dale allow restaurant owners to only associate with people who meet their minimal,requirement of acting with public dignity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.