1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I startled the newsroom with my reaction to that goal.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I can't decide if that second German goal was more consequential or more beautiful. God, I love the World Cup.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That is a tough call. Guess it remains to be seen how consequential. Can see Germany beating SK by at least 3, which would make it less consequential
    depending on the Sweden-Mexico result.

Definitely have become more appreciative of the athleticism shown by world class soccer players. Growing up kind of didn't give soccer a chance.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Germany is likely in with a significant win over Korea or a 1-0 win and Sweden winning by more than 1 over Mexico. Not to mention if Mexico wins or draws assuming Germany makes quick work of Korea. A combo of 1-goal wins for Germany and Sweden and things get weird. That second goal was huge for Germany because now the odds of advancing shot up significantly.

5. cjericho

Yes. Thinking Germany by at least 2 over SK, that's why was saying more beautiful than consequential. But this WC has been a little unpredictable.
    Heard that it's the longest without a 0-0 game, but my buddy also said it's one of the lowest scoring WC at this point in a while.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Today's 5-2 Belgium-Tunisia game unseated Russia's 5-0 opening night win for highest scoring match of 2018 I believe. I think a lot of teams are content getting 3 points and not pressing their luck

Edit: My bad forgot about Spain-Portugal. Belgium unseated that today

7. cjericho

Will definitely watch the replay. Wanted to wake up, but needed more than 3 hours sleep today so that didn't happen.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Champ fights his way off the ropes is a classic sports drama story as old as time. Germany-Sweden was superb drama. Spain-Portugal was a supreme individual talent exhibiting same. Those have been the matches of the Cup to date, although Russia, Croatia and Belgium have been the dominant teams so far. Being dominant in group play, I may add, doesn't mean that much.

cjericho likes this.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I am definitely a soccer neophyte, but that was a great Germany-Sweden match.

On the winning goal, Germany faked a shot, the two-man wall moved toward the ball, and then the shot passed right through where they were standing on its way into net.

That's a gutsy play (er ... "set piece") with the game/advancement literally on the line.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I've watched it 100 times. That set piece was incredible. Simple but perfectly executed. That's practice, practice, practice.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And the keeper played it perfectly yet still had no chance. The one square foot of net in the upper inside corner that the ball found was the only place it was going to be a goal. Too far outside/not enough curve and it hits the post or misses wide. Just a touch more inside and the keeper or the defense gets it. The keeper cut down the angle well and it was put exactly where it needed to be put. Just a perfectly executed shot that even no-nothings like us can appreciate.

12. cjericho

Panama is atrocious.

Draft saved Draft deleted