1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

39E0D9D1-AD49-4C01-B779-73B607D8CCC2.jpeg

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Most of those American coaches don’t have the arm length to reach into their pants and then sniff their hand, like the German soccer coach.

heyabbott and Slacker like this.
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Other than the times when they say "choose this for a win," this was the easiest Streak of the Cash pick ever

Your Last Pick - You Chose Correctly, Now Pick Again!
    You selected England: Wins By 2+ Goals Sun Jun 24, 8:00 AM

Although some people say Panama is much better than the US, they are horrible. Yes, the US choked and didn't qualify,
    but Panama sucks. Said it after the first match, and it was more apparent today.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, Panama is terrible, but there's no doubt in my mind that if the US team had qualified and been drawn in Panama's group, they'd be 0-2 against England and Belgium. They probably wouldn't have a minus-8 goal differential, but they'd have zero points.

5. cjericho

Don't think they'd beat England or Belgium, but definitely don't think they'd get their dicks kicked all around the pitch.
    They played Belgium last WC (mostly the same Belgium team) and even though they were outplayed they weren't embarrassed.
    Panama was embarrassed. And it was England, which isn't as good as Belgium.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is silly to debate. There's no way to tell. No one thought the U.S. would get out of their last group either and they did. The last round of qualifying was awful but the U.S. had made it to the knockout round in three out of four World Cups. Don't know how the team that was put together would have evolved, but everyone loves Mexico right now and the U.S. tied them in Mexico the last time. Of course Costa Rica has looked less than stellar so the U.S. could have been minus-8 as well. It's all a toss up. No one thought Germany or Argentina would have their struggles either, right?

7. cjericho

It is kind of silly. But I think the US is more talented than Panama and I said that after Panama was crushed in their
    first match. Today Panama was blown off the pitch. Yes, they qualified and the US didn't. Just saying the US has more talent.
    But guess Panama is much better because PC loadletter said so.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Panama are horrible—not just unskilled, but dirty and whiny. They made England look like the greatest team in the world. They are not.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We're on the same page. People want to crap on the U.S. and they definitely deserve it for their qualifying effort but not for World Cup performances, that they get wrongly dissed for. I see it all the time right now, even more so with comparison with Panama, that the U.S. would have been an embarrassment like always. But really since 1994 the if the U.S. has been an embarrassment it's because they haven't figured out how to go further. Even so, never have they been embarrassed in the knock out stages and really could have beaten both Germany and Belgium. Even in 2006, which wasn't a great showing, they tied Italy, which won the tournament. I'm biased and passionate and all that but the Panama comparisons are dumb and history shows it.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Suppose the US hadn't fucked up the last game and had qualified. They would have, IMO, have had to significantly raise their level of play to have been respectable in Russia. It's not impossible that would happen. Iran, which won't make the knockout stage, has been quite a respectable competitor. Japan wasn't very well regarded, and they are 1-1-0. But I wouldn't have bet on the US with other people's money, let alone my own.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m not sure the Colombia GK was touched there.

12. cjericho

Never said I'd bet on the US, just said it's embarrassing they didn't qualify and Panama did. Want to go back and find the last time the US was outscored by 8
    in consecutive matches?

Draft saved Draft deleted