1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It sounds like you’re just trying to get me to say “the world needs ditch diggers, too.” Which it does.

I would counter that it’s never been easier to move up levels in any society.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If you are in a field you really like, and you have a good staff around you, it can be a very rewarding occupation. I could go home at the end of the day and think of people that I had legitimately helped in some way very often. OTOH, there are hospitals where nurses are not any different from factory workers on an assembly line to their higher ups.

Back in the day, a hospital floor might have from two to five RN's supervising a bunch of LPN's and patient assistants. RN's make too much money for that now, so it is not uncommon for there to be one per shift who is in charge of all the workers on the ward. The number of staff has also been cut to minimize cost, so that an LPN might have from six to ten beds that she's responsible for. Do that math, that's from six to ten minutes per hour per patient. If someone has a problem, IV gets pulled out and has to be re-set, or craps the bed, or someone pulls the nurse call when they've already had their visit for the hour, it gets worse. Patients or family in the room sit there getting pissed when no one comes because they don't know what's going on elsewhere. Note also that paperwork and reports are supposed to be getting done as well, and that six to ten minutes excludes pee or smoke breaks.

Add in that some patients are just plain difficult - either they have something complicated going on that demands a lot of time, or they hurt and are crabby and snappy, or they are just plain mean and nasty to "the help". Same with families - some are nice, helpful. Some are complete dicks, and you really can't say much back if they are.

The other side of that is lazy shitty worthless nurses sitting at the nurse's station bullshitting while some poor patient is lying in a bed filled with their own filth because they know it and don't want to fool with it. I've seen way too many of those.

It can be a really demanding, difficult job. It is very situational.

Michael_ Gee and exmediahack like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Most of my medical career was spent in an outpatient clinic, which meant that I got walky talky patients instead of trauma patients or invalids, which is a helluva lot easier than the hospital. It is almost a universal ambition among hospital care types as they age to move to that sort of job. Generally there is less corporate bullshit and working conditions are better.

In the clinic I was never on one end of a hospital bed moving a patient back to her room with the tech on the other end of the bed telling me to move my ass, because she didn't want the patient to die in our care. She passed less than ten minutes after we got her back.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Get ready for this in your timeline:

“Our policy allows pharmacists to step away from filling a prescription for which they have a moral objection. At the same time, they are also required to refer the prescription to another pharmacist or manager on duty to meet the patient's needs in a timely manner.”

Oh, man.

5. exmediahack

Thanks for the insight. We only see the “view from the hospital room” but I know there’s a ton more than goes into it. Go Blazers.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Friend of my wife's is a former nurse but doesn't want to do that in this country (or go through whatever schooling it would take to do it). But she did lay out $30,000 for an 18-month course to become a sonographer.

She cannot find a job in that line of work at all. And has to pay something like $500 each year to take an exam to maintain her certification.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

The lady that died, that was flat brutal. I was a rad tech student doing hospital clinicals, and was working with a very experienced tech I really liked. She was a black woman who had been doing it for twenty years and she was a walking encyclopedia. Normally she was a riot to work with.

This lady came down for an abdominal x-ray, and she was completely packed with stool. Not constipated, packed, top to bottom of the film. She was holding a wad of kleenex and kept wiping her mouth. I thought she was spitting up old black clotted blood. It wasn't. It was stool. We got her on the table, shot her film, got her back on her bed and back to her room at absolute lightspeed, because Darlene knew what was going on and was determined that we wouldn't be left standing when the music stopped.

So sad, that poor woman's eyes... I'll never forget her.

8. Neutral Corner

It depends which health related field you get into, some are much in demand, some less so. It also depends on where you live in relation to schools producing techs in that area. If there is a university and two or three community colleges nearby all pumping out ultrasound tech, you may have to move to find work. Other fields there are never enough.

Some of it is kinda random. I was choosing between x-ray and respiratory therapy. I went x-ray because respiratory required a lot more biology and because the job was sucking goo out of people's lungs all day. 'Course, when I went x-ray, that landed me in radiation physics and I was doing barium enemas, sooo...

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

11. exmediahack

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Arrgghhh! FUCK ETHANOL! Fucked up both of my lawnmowers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.