1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"A handful of Democrats..."

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

And it's interesting that, in the discussion of "civility" today, McConnell's action of 2016 is brought up -- perhaps the single most uncivil action in a legislative body that once prided itself on its process and civility.

Whether it is in politics or war, the side that does not ramp up its commitment and weaponry to match and eventually surpass the firepower of the other is the one that ends up defeated. The Democratic leadership and other voices on the left advocating niceties need to wake up and understand that the old rules, such as they were, reflect a game that no longer exists.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

One-note tuba.

5. typefitter

That thread does a good job of summarizing my thinking on the topic. "Please be polite to us while we destroy your families."

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Wommmp ...

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. typefitter

Here's a crazy lib idea that will have a lifelong impact on my autistic son. See if you can stop being an idiot for a few minutes and understand how, if you lived somewhere different, it might have an impact on yours.

In Canada, if your child meets the requirements of "disabled"—diagnosed by a doctor, subject to approval by the Canada Revenue Agency—then you can open something called an RDSP, a Registered Disability Savings Plan. My son qualified, and I've opened one up for him. The rules are a little complex, but generally speaking, for every $1,500 I put into the fund, the government will add about $3,500. So, $1,500 turns into $5,000. The contribution cap—anyone can contribute to an RDSP, but it can have only one beneficiary—is $200,000. So, if I work hard (and sometimes travel for that work, if you want to take that weak-dicked shot again), I can sock $200,000 into his fund, which will turn into $700,000 or so. That isn't money out of the air. That's tax dollars paid by my fellow Canadians. That money can be invested and grow tax-free and then be drawn out by the beneficiary and/or his or her guardian to cover any expense—rent, food, whatever. It gives me some peace of mind that after I'm gone, if my boy wants to live in an apartment and read books and play Lego for the rest of his life, he can probably do something like that.

The idea behind it—the defence of such a program—comes from the fact that it means he's less likely to require institutionalization. Which, in addition to giving him a happier life, also saves the state money in the long term. It's better if he lives on his own, even if that requires him to be subsidized. That's still cheaper than a room in an institution.

Now, doesn't that seem like a good idea? I'm really glad the RDSP exists, and I'm grateful to my fellow Canadians for their support of my son and people like him. It's a liberal idea that I can defend without throwing anything through a window. I'm sure you, too, could also see the benefit—because you have a son with a similar condition. I can't imagine you'd want your son to live in an institution. He is disabled through no fault of him or you. It's not a full handout—you need to contribute. I can't see why anyone would object to the RDSP and certainly can't imagine why anyone who might have a loved one benefit from it would.

But instead of fighting for such a program in your fucked-up evil-ass country, you'll just sit back and accuse liberals of all sorts of awful things, and you'll post your dumb-fuck tweets like this one and think it's a victory, and you'll live your obtuse, asshole life and be a prop and a mark for your current fascist government, the same government that would cut the hearts out of programs like the one that will help my son and me so much without giving a two-penny fuck about him or me.

Congratulations, you dolt. Way to fucking go.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

David Gergen has an awfully short memory. And he's not even a Trumpist, as far as I can tell. Funny how hounding Trumpists in public places -- a rude and uncivil act, to be sure -- can still be deemed more dangerous and disturbing than bombings of the Vietnam era or murder in Charlottesville.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic post Type. I have a brother with autism who spent 18 years in an institution. Fortunately he has been in a group home the last 25 years. The plan you have in Canada is fantastic. I sure want to see Q’s response to this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Imagine the lack of civility of our time.

(Reads three pages of this thread)

Naw, everyone is trash, and if someone wants to pretend we’ve hit some brave new frontier of trash, they’re probably exceptionally trash. Some trolling bullshit right there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.