1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

America has gotten exactly what it deserves.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Harley-Davidson workers back Trump despite jobs shift

“He wouldn’t do it unless it needed to be done, he’s a very smart businessman,” said one Harley employee whose name is embroidered on his work shirt — though he asks not to be quoted by name.

“I think he’s playing poker: I’ll hit you with this, you’ll hit us with that, I think this will bring them to the table — unless he’s completely crazy,” chimed in another, who also declined to be quoted on the grounds that he could get into trouble with the company for speaking out.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The reason con artists get away with it is that the marks never ever want to admit they were taken.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In a nutshell:

Republicans: Punch opposition in the crotch for decades.

Democrats: Complain about punching in crotch.

Republicans: Quit yer fucking whinin'.

Democrats: Kick Republicans in crotch.

Republicans: They kicked us.

Media: Why are the Democrats being uncivil?

heyabbott and franticscribe like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

Asked whether they blame the president or the EU for causing Harley’s offshoring decision, most say emphatically that they blame only the Europeans. “The president was just trying to save the US aluminium and steel industry,” said one approvingly.

Harley-Davidson said on Monday that it maintained a “strong commitment to US-based manufacturing”, but that its facilities in India, Brazil and Thailand would increase production to avoid paying the EU tariffs that would have cost it as much as $100m.

When asked whether the latest news could make him vote against Mr Trump if he runs for a second term in 2020, one worker, who gave his name only as Tod, replied: “No, I don’t think so. It’s going to take a little bit more than that. He’s doing good things. We’ll just have to see who runs on the other side, that might change my vote.”

Mark, another Harley worker sitting astride his motorbike during the afternoon shift change at this plant that employs about 1,000 workers, said: “I think Harley is just using it as an excuse” to move more production overseas, after a recent decision to close the company’s Kansas City plant. “They will just blame it on Trump.”

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

be careful what you wish for Max!

Webster and BadgerBeer like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

It's incomprehensible to me. 1) Calling Trump a con artist is an insult to artful grifters who actually trick people. He's a bullshit artist, and he is so transparently ridiculous with his BS, it boggles me. It boggled me in 1988, except then it seemed everyone knew he was a bullshit artist. It boggled me in 2016, particularly to the extent there were people who seemed to be taking him seriously. At this point, it makes my head want to explode. 2) There is some human psychology thing going on here that I am incapable of understanding. Forget not being able to recognize the most ridiculous bullshit artist of all time. Those Harley workers? To me, it's like jumping in front of a bus and then blaming the bus.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If your chosen Facebook, Twitter and “news” feeds are telling you he’s doing the right thing, why wouldn’t stick with him?

lakefront and BadgerBeer like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

pwning the libs

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Trump is the effect of the real problem; we have allowed “news” media outlets in this county as outlets that fling shit at each other. This shit might have been news worthy at one time, but its context and words have been twisted so much by the side throwing it that it’s shit.

Too much of America sits on one side or the other cheering on their shit slinging team not realizing everthing around them is now covered in shit.

I don’t think America gets out of this slide until the shit slingers are either forced to tone it down or stop and we get back to traditional news reporting or Americans get smart enough to realize they are covered it shit.

I just don’t see either happening, and I fear the world is seeing our shit slinging game and wants to play, too.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Imagine an America where neither Fox News nor MSNBC existed. Is that a better America? (I think so, for the record.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.