1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this today while sitting at a bar I decided to hit after hearing the news while on vacation. I live in a blue city in a purple state. I had planned, in the future, to relocate to someplace closer to my ancestral home, as I like beaches with summertime water of 80 degrees or greater and splendid golf courses. The places I was looking at are in Gilead, as you put it. As I pondered this, I spent the time this afternoon watching my MLB team’s bullpen barf up a lead while texting my wife, informing her that our long-term plans may have changed forever. While I am sad at this, I am sadder for the women who will have to return to back alleys and coat hangers because of court decisions likely to come.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

They would have to invent a machine that would give people a superhuman ability to roll one's eyes to properly respond to this post.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Or they could just cross state lines.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, understand that. Sessions is such a tool. Gardner was smart to put a stop to that.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I realize Trump could nominate Lionel Hutz for all we know, but isn't the most likley scenario one conservative justice replaced by another?

I may be missing something, but is it really that earthshattering an event? Far from ideal, but I feel like people on the left are acting like they are losing a vote. That was last time.

6. SnarkShark

A Brief History Of Anthony Kennedy's Swing Vote — And The Landmark Cases It Swayed

7. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Good luck with that when crossing the border takes you from Mississippi to Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana or Arkansas. Also, good luck with that when the Court enables a federal ban of a law passed through a gerrymandered House and a Senate that does not accurately represent the population.

We are headed for disunion. I simply prefer to be on the non-theocratic side of it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're counting on them being able to have affordable transportation for that.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  9. SnarkShark

If the next Supreme Court appointment leads to steps back, nationally, on gay marriage and abortion, it will just lead to more liberal flight from red states.

As a person in a blue state, I'll take all the gay folks who want to get married with open arms.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6 in New Jersey equals ...

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

See, I'm pretty much convinced that if women start getting hurt and dying every day from illegal abortions, then that just turns the tide permanently towards legalization.

It's easy for anti-aborts to oppose legalization when it's already legal, but they're not prepared for what could happen beyond getting their stupid little Mission Accomplished moment.

Sure, you'll have your hardcore anti-aborts who will say they deserved to die. But it's not the 1950s and 1960s anymore. Women aren't going to be ashamed because they had sex.

A woman getting hurt in a back alley isn't going to lie now and say she had a miscarriage. She'll say that she would have been fine if abortion was legal.

OscarMadison and Slacker like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Given his love for reality TV and TV celebrities, Judge Jeanine or Judge Judy as a nominee would not surprise me in the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.