1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Germany was in trouble. When I heard the Korea score, I figured they were resting the starters for the knockout round.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Deutschland had no business whatsoever getting punked by South Korea in the game of soccer. Time to show Jogi the way out of Jellystone Park.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How did they determine that Japan advanced over Senegal?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just to get out in front of this:

A) Yes, using Fair Play Points as a tiebreaker is stupid. Find me one that isn't and still works when the tied teams are at different sites.
    2) Those are the rules. Everyone knew that going in. You don't like 'em, change 'em.
    III) Before condemning Japan and throwing your undying loyalty behind Belgium and/or England (assuming you haven't already), ask yourself if you'd be similarly outraged if the US advanced to a World Cup knockout round in similar fashion. There is no shame in soccer, certainly not at this level.

5. TrooperBari

Japan picked up two fewer yellow cards than Senegal in the group stage, so they advanced via Fair Play points -- the seventh of eight tiebreakers.

6. YankeeFan

LOL. Enough mocking of soccer.

How did they really determine it?

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Fair Play is better than drawing lots. At least it has an element of team control in it. Total chance is the worst way to decide it.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have zero problem with deciding the fourth tiebreak by yellows.

People want to bitch just to bitch.

Webster, HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The only other thing that might work is shots, or shots on target—to reward the team that created more chances. But Fair Play is an idea I can respect, too.

Incidentally, Fair Play is all that separates Belgium and England going into today's match, so that could be interesting. Especially since there's a good argument to be made that finishing second in that group is the advantage.

10. YankeeFan

So, because the refs handed out more yellow cards to the black guys, than they did to the Asian guys, Japan moves on?

Yeah. There’s nothing subjective about that.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Why?

12. TrooperBari

Group H refs were from Slovenia, Bahrain, Italy, Mexico, Zambia, and Serbia. If there's a conspiracy behind this, it's a truly global one.

Draft saved Draft deleted