1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK, World Cup fans, I'm crowdsourcing here. My daughter is back from Moscow, and finds herself in the middle of the pack in her company's Cup office pool after the group stage. It's progressive scoring as in many NCAA pools, so she has all to play for. Since it is a wine exporting firm, first prize is a case of very fine champagne, with second and third place prizes being cases of more than decent Bordeaux. I'm working on commission for Hope. If she wins, I'll get half of any of the cases. I'll cut you all in to the extent anyone is welcome to my house for a victory toast. I like Argentina, Uruguay, Spain, Brazil, Belgium, Croatia, Switzerland and Colombia to advance. Any strong concurring or dissenting opinions?Any ideas on scores, which also must be picked?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is he from Yale?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sell short just how bad Argentina has been thus far. Also, I would be shocked if Colombia beats England.

4. Michael_ Gee

I know Argentina has been bad, but so has France. Colombia over England is just a hunch based on England's past history. Also, my daughter needs to pick a couple of upsets to move up in the standings.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I like Sweden over Switzerland for a semi-upset. And I think Portugal will beat Uruguay. That seems to me like a fairly even match that Ronaldo will somehow find a way to win.

It would be classic England if Gareth Southgate, playing for second place, then steps on a rake against Colombia.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No shit, I first heard of this guy about an hour before you posted this from some distant cousin of my wife’s. That shit is great. I’m told he has a really funny volleyball video, too.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a "The Making of Scott Sterling videos" to see how they pull this stuff off.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

You haven't seen the volleyball one? That is gold. You have to find it!

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Just got an email update from my daughter. She went with Sweden over Switzerland and England over Colombia, disregarding dear old Dad. She did have an upset though, a real doozy, too. Mexico over Brazil. She said it was "because the Mexican fans we met in Moscow were so HAPPY (caps hers) and I want them to keep being that happy." Hope is an informed fan of many sports, so it's interesting she went for a personal angle like that.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Pick with the head, not the heart. That said, Mexico's usual routine is to overperform in the group stage before crashing back to earth in the Round of 16. Maybe soiling the sheets against Sweden got that out of their system while they could still get away with it.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't think Mexico get past Brazil, but much like 2014, I don't see Brazil as the favourites. So far, Spain seems to me to be the only team incapable of absolutely shitting the bed. I still think the French will do it, but France v. Spain seems like the final.

12. Spartan Squad

¡Viva El Tri! Great pick, Great pick ... Possibly foolish but great pick!

Also, a Mexico win means free(ish) Bud Light for Cali

Bud Light Clarifies: Rebates On Beer If Mexico Breaks Curse Of The 5th Game

Draft saved Draft deleted