1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Now no one can make a pk.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not a great day as an advertisement for soccer.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Penalty kicks are a ridiculous and unfair way to settle a soccer match. They are however, superbly dramatic and entertaining. I can't help thinking the Spain-Russia match would've been improved by going straight to the kicks and omitting the first two hours of play.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

In brave new federation, White House comes to Mother Russia.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting that you can't find the 114th-minute takedown on the highlight packages of FIFA rights holders Fox or the BBC.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Who faces more pressure in the game-deciding PKs ... the goalie or the shooters? Everyone who made a goal had this huge sigh of relief.

I find myself pulling for Croatia. It doesn't hurt that their best striker looks like one of my favorite British actors, Robert Carlyle.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Easily the shooters. No one expects the goalie to stop it. I felt terrible for Schmeichel -- no goalie should stop two PKs and still lose.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So interesting that the NYT story didn't mention the takedown. Neither did the WaPo. Neither did AP.

They're all in on it. Probably the SEC, too.

Because in Russia, it just means more.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Photo: The Guardian
    NYT did reference it but not in the main text of the story. The following is in a play-by-play after the main story:

114’: Penalty? No.
    A beautiful Spanish free kick drifts achingly beyond three Spanish players, and they IMMEDIATELY sprint to referee Bjorn Kuipers to argue that Pique and Ramos were held and deserve a penalty.

Andrew Das: That really should have been a penalty for the hold on Ramos. He couldn’t get free of his man and the ball sailed within a few feet of him. Nope. Kuipers waves play on.

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.28.16 PM.png

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There is zero pressure on the goalies.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You got me. A play-by-play that mentions everything that happened every two minutes mentions it. That settles it.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Spain will feel better when a positive drug test strikes Russia’s win from the books.

Draft saved Draft deleted