1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's one man's opinion. And you're right that the opinion is far from universal. People who know far more about the game than I do are divided. Nobody seems to think a penalty would be an egregious call, but it isn't Don Denkinger-Game 6-1985 World Series bad. It was Denkinger, right?

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm a keeper, and I love shootouts. It's maybe the only moment in my life when my only options are hero or sympathetic victim of circumstance.

Although de Gea might be the first losing keeper ever to get some seriously hard eyes. He had a lousy tournament.

3. tapintoamerica

Kind of annoying that the Fox Sports replay doesn't allow you to jump ahead to a particular point.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If it was the 14th minute, it's likely the penalty is called. In the 114th minute, much less so. The penalty on Denmark took place in a one-on-one situation that couldn't be waved away as part of game chaos.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everybody knows more about the game than me (except for my wife, who was elated when I told her the result but deflated when I told her that, no, it wasn't the championship game). I just figured all these sports play by NBA rules (everything's a no-call in crunch time).

Yes, it was Denkinger.

6. tapintoamerica

Makes sense. The NHL playoffs in OT theory.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Brasil? It be you and just about everyone not living south of the Rio Grande

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Meddling? [/crossthread]

9. HanSenSE

Not sure how the brackets are set, but if Russia somehow meets Mexico down the road, what will he do?

10. HanSenSE

Withhold the orange slices?

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

They can't meet till the final.

But one of these six teams will definitely play in it: Colombia, England, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, or Russia. That is messed up and awesome.

Batman likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

No collision! [/crossthread]

BTExpress likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted