1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a blatant grab but far enough from the play that I was ok with the no call.

I’m not quite sure of what Spain was afraid of, but the whole point of tiki-taka is to wear the opposition down for the killer pass off of the 50th run into the box. They almost never tried that pass.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Spain 1-1 Russia: World Cup 2018 last 16 match, hosts win on penalties

Chances came and went but nothing of note happened for the remainder of normal time. In extra-time when Rodrigo went close and Carvajal couldn't finish the rebound. A cross came in from a free and Ramos and Pique seemed to be hauled to the ground, which the referee decided against whistling for.

Spain was denied a penalty against Russia and everyone made the same joke

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He mentioned it when it happened on twitter.

That Roar You Hear Is From Russia. Its Team Sent Spain Home.

114’: Penalty? No.
    A beautiful Spanish free kick drifts achingly beyond three Spanish players, and they IMMEDIATELY sprint to referee Bjorn Kuipers to argue that Pique and Ramos were held and deserve a penalty.
    Andrew Das: That really should have been a penalty for the hold on Ramos. He couldn’t get free of his man and the ball sailed within a few feet of him. Nope. Kuipers waves play on.

And few pages back it was mentioned here that it wasn't just one defender with a hold/takedown.

edit: didn't realize tapinto had already posted the NYT.

some of the tweets are pretty funny.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It’s endemic in the NBA.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe not the run of play, but two penalty shootouts in the knockout stage on one day equal incredible drama. My Twitterz was iridescent.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I heard today that the PK format began in 1978. How did they decide ties before 1978? Random draw?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Endless OT. Television put a stop to that.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

I actually wouldn't mind an FA Cup-style replay in the knockout round. Play it 3-4 days later, and the way the games are staggered it wouldn't disrupt much at all.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Brazil is south of the Rio Grande.

Just sayin'.

10. Twirling Time

I think the NASL actually pioneered the concept of the shootout before that. Not PKs from the spot, but a 35-yard run to the goal one on one with the keeper.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

With a shot clock, right?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Chinaglia time!

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted