1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The brackets are so out of balance. You have to think England or Croatia come out of the weak side. But then the stacked side—Brazil, Belgium, France, even Uruguay... I'm not as high on Brazil as some, mostly because I fucking hate Neymar, but that's a heavy road.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO Willian was man of the match. His speed broke down the Mexico defense in the second half and they were never able to recover their balance.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

DOS A CERO, POR SIEMPRE Y PARA SIEMPRE

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yup. As the parent of a soccer goalie, he’s been in a few shootouts. Loves it. All house money.

5. Big Circus

It's also a position that involves long periods of inaction. A shootout is pretty much the polar opposite of that.

6. exmediahack

I’ll push back with this.

He loves being a goalkeeper because it is almost all action. It’s him yelling to his defenders constantly on positioning for corners, advances, free kicks, etc.

It’s why he quit baseball... too much inaction, standing around getting skin cancer while playing first base.

7. Big Circus

Well fuck, how can I argue with cancer?

That’s a valid point. I’ll amend to “direct action.”

8. exmediahack

Lots of hero potential as a soccer keeper.

Unless you let the ball in through your hands or you let a rebound turn into a second shot... when you get hot, you become a hero.

Some of his best sports memories are from this spring where he tossed shutouts with 11 or 12 saves or even a 1-1 draw against better opponents.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be better to reseed? They've added teams and they have penalty kicks, which they didn't used to have.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know how you would actually reseed the teams. There would be lots of tiebreakers.

Something that might be interesting? If you could rank the teams, you let the first-place team pick its opponent from the other 15. Second-place picks next and so on. The strategy and insult would be pretty fucking intense, and it would mean there was no such thing as a meaningless group game.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The problem is teams aren't really seeded in the first place. The groups are a mess as it is in many ways. You could have some committee seed 1 through 16 after group, but they'd have to do it fast, or you could just do it on FIFA rankings, but who knows what good way there is to do it. Also with the way the schedule is set up, reseeding doesn't totally work because you potentially could have a team that needs to play two days after they finished group. If you seeded groups it may be different. None of it is impossible, they'd just have to do some thinking to figure it out and that's not exactly a FIFA strongsuit is it? I don't mind a set bracket, especially with the "randomness" of the group draws, but I get the thought.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Why would that be? they can play the 8 matches in any order.

Draft saved Draft deleted