1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Reseeding would be a cluster. What measures do you use to seed teams? If you use rankings, then your spot in the knockout round now has nothing to do with what you did in the World Cup. You can't do points because there are so few games.

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Of course after saying Belgium is a top 5 team, they are shitting the bed now.

3. Spartan Squad

You inherently would have the problem regardless of when the game was played. Groups A and B play their last matches on a Monday (let's say). Groups G and H play Thursday. Knockouts start Saturday. Someone either has 5 days rest vs 2 for their opponent or someone doesn't play for 10 days to allow the other team to catch up. If you start adjusting to accommodate extremes in rest advantage, it ruins the matches for everyone else. Or you delay the world cup but you are still left with the same problem

Roscablo likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

great second goal

5. Spartan Squad

Holy crap Japan is taking it to Belgium.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I suppose, but it would take even more planning and there would likely be imbalance in the schedule, either a lot of days off or not many. Right now there is a one day break from the end of group to the first knock out game. Maybe it doesn't matter but it could be messy. The best way overall would just to be to seed the groups.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

And they were lucky Japan wasn't ahead in the first half.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This World Cup is making me feel like I don't understand anything about football anymore.

9. cjericho

Crazy goal, looked like a dig in volleyball.

10. Spartan Squad

Belgium with a bit of luck!

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think he absolutely meant to do that.

12. cjericho

That one was sweet though.

Draft saved Draft deleted