1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

For me, one of the principal uses of VAR should be simulation calls—not just feigned contact, but overreaction to contact. I think Neymar's shit the other day is card worthy. It's horrible for the game.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Guess it's often tough to call. Ronaldo's PK vs Spain wasn't an overreaction, but think he saw the defender stick his leg out and went right
    into him.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wish refs could send players off due to injury (with a replacement) if they think the player is too hurt to continue. It would cut way down on the bad acting.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Can they do like the NFL, NBA and NHL and judge the flop after the game and if nothing else, delete fair play points since those are a tiebreaker?

Guys in the NHL are frequently fined for moves not penalized during the game.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how I feel. I used to be a pretty standard soccer-mocking American, but have come around on the World Cups for the last decade and have watched a ton of this one.

I guess I’ve come to understand the flopping a little more? With an official who’s going to end up out of position so often, it feels like the players’ way of saying “hey, you missed some shit while you were running to catch up.” Football and basketball don’t need that because they have officials in nearly every position they need to be. Neymar, as stupid as he looked, was drawing attention to the fact that someone stepped on his freaking ankle, which no one would have ever noticed if he hadn’t gone nuts.

He definitely looked stupid though. I don’t know. I feel like it’s so baked in that officials work with it rather than try to eliminate it, that they rely on it to pick up shady stuff they can’t see and trust themselves to know when to ignore the players pushing it too far. There have definitely been some cards given on plays where it seemed like the only reason anyone stopped to think about it or check a review was the afflicted player was acting like he stepped on a land mine.

It’s totally possible I don’t have a clue what I’m talking about though.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

How about more than one referee? And no, the ARs on the sideline are not enough.

Hockey added a second referee, and the system works better, I don’t see why soccer can’t.

And it doesn’t change the game.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Colombia (or insert team here) dicks around for four minutes after a foul is awarded, and before Kane's PK. Absolutely unnecessary wasted time; it's absurd that it took so long to administer a PK because Colombia wouldn't line up. Yet at the end, when they trail, their shitty behavior is rewarded, with five minutes of extra time. Has to be a way to determine who wasted the most time, and if that team is trailing, subtract it from added time.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That column is pretty much spot-on. And doesn't spare England from joining the play-acting.

My brother calls it the "magic sponge" when a South American or African player apparently one inch from death is miraculously revived by one touch of the physio's sponge applying water.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Don't forget the special spray that they also use

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Is that spray approved by Livingstone Bramble?

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted