1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then YF started writing me, telling me your feelings were hurt.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Please do some research on this. Of all the silly, purposefully misleading knee-jerk talking points, this is the dumbest one.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

YCQM

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Posted as a matter of record.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The record is not supposed to be wrong.

7. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Kavanaugh wrote this for the Minnesota Law Review in 2009.

http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kavanaugh_MLR.pdf

"The country wants the President to be 'one of us' who bears the same responsibilities of citizenship that all share. But I believe that the President should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship while serving in office."

Later in the article:

"In particular, Congress might consider a law exempting a President—while in office—from criminal prosecution and investigation, including from questioning by criminal prosecutors or defense counsel. Criminal investigations targeted at or revolving around a President are inevitably politicized by both their supporters and critics. As I have written before, 'no Attorney General or special counsel will have the necessary credibility to avoid the inevitable charges that he is politically motivated—whether in favor of the President or against him, depending on the individual leading the investigation and its results.' The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public interest, especially in times of financial or national security crisis."

It must be noted that he wrote this in regards to the 44th President -- who, of course, was President Obama.

In this piece, Kavanaugh also argues to "ensure prompt Senate votes on executive and judicial nominations," "streamline executive-branch organization and ensure that officials in independent agencies are more accountable," and to "consider the possible benefits of a single, six-year Presidential term," among other points.

I would hope that some Senator would raise one particular point of Kavanaugh's -- that all judicial nominees should receive a Senate vote within 180 days -- and then refer to Merrick Garland.

garrow and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd like to see something in the Senate rules, if not a constitutional amendment, that gives the Senate 180 days to reject a nomination - any nomination. Seeing people literally have their nominations for judicial posts, diplomatic posts, held up for years (often by a single Senator trying to gain leverage for something unrelated) is ridiculous.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lol, is she feeling inadequate?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anyone want to look up how long it took Kavanaugh to get a vote on his original nomination to the bench?

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"“Am I a Republican?” Mr. Fitzgerald said. “What is a Republican anymore?"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.