1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The 1oo million euros is just the transfer fee Juventus pays Real. Then they pay Ronaldo's salary, which is 500K euro a week of the season (soccer has long seasons) AND they pay a tax equal to Ronaldo's taxes. It all comes out to about 350 million euros, which at current exchange rates is about 400 million bucks. LeBron is obviously underpaid.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was born in London to British parents, follow British footy, and literally have to write that way for one of my jobs, because if I say "Belgium is," my opinions will automatically be dismissed out of hand by much of the football-reading world, much as if I write "soccer" or "PKs" or "field." So it's ingrained by now, the way I write "flavoured" or "theatre," because that's how I was taught to write them.

So this are how it are going to be.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I believe that the “per week” is just a conceit and they get paid all year long.

Really surprising move to Juve as they have tended to do good business and this seems the opposite. Romaldo has a ton of miles on him — 15 seasons in the top leagues with long UCL runs and every international tournament for Portugal. This also really hurts the rights for La Liga here as Ronaldo and Messi (not to mention Ronaldo v. Messi) was the gift that kept on giving.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My kid is in camp, so I agreed to record the game and not watch it till he's out at 4:30. What are the chances that I don't hear the score? I need to sit in an isolation tank for the afternoon.

And no, I will not be here after 2 PM, you jackasses, so save your "helpful updates" in my inbox.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As always, France wins the national anthem.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Pasta?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This one's for all the pommes du terre frites.

Batman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I get it. You is a soccer guy.

BTW, wasn't the word "soccer" coined in England?

Draft saved Draft deleted