1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

He are a professional writerer, you know.

da man likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nervy first half. Thought that Belgium had a good rhythm going but France but the pressure on. Wonder if Giroud has to come off — it will make France more offensive minded probably.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, I know what I am doing on Sunday. The beret and the tricolore face paint is so me, too.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

England-France would be a fun final.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. Webster

And one that Fox is hoping for.

We are throwing a party for the finals and Mrs. W is stumped about what to do in terms of Croat food and drink.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Purina Dog Chow?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Croatia has been the most successful and most underestimated team in the tournament. England is a mite better on paper, but Croatia has results. Also, Modric, best player not he pitch.

8. Webster

I think that it will be a good match. Modric is my no. 2 player so far. Kante, Modric and then M’Bappe.

9. Michael_ Gee

Good call on Kante, he's been outstanding. My daughter reports it got kind of drunk out in Bordeaux tonight.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Ahem, this is a soccer thread. Get with the program.

Donny in his element and Webster like this.
  11. Webster

Would have been a blast. I still remember drinking with the French in Lisbon after they scored 2 late goals to beat England at Euro 2004. A surprisingly edgy people, but they can celebrate.

12. Michael_ Gee

In 1998, I had been promised by the Herald sports editor that Id cover the Cup there, because I speak French. Some weeks later (a super guy, not a planner) he realized he had already promised it to the Revolution beat guy. Another person you couldn't help but like. My boss, knowing he'd done me wrong, sent me to the US Open at Olympic. My lovely parting gift was a week in San Francisco. Fair enough. Anyway. we get to where France wins and Paris is going insane and your odds of getting laid are better than they were on Liberation Day in 1944. it's still early in Boston, so the desk calls our man and says, "your name here, it's insane out there, go get us a story." Our man replies "yeah, I c've been watching on TV. Glad I don't need to go out."
    The reporter who did this was one of the very few to call me seven years later when I was laid off, but I mean, really. Best night to get laid in Paris since Liberation, and he's in there watching TV.

HanSenSE and Webster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted