1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Economic Left/Right: 1.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Why do the left/liberal numbers get negative?"

Standard graphing. Left of the vertical is negative.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

To be clear, I'm not a Trump fan--but I'm not entirely sure why this is all that controversial. ALJs are part of the executive branch. They provide over administrative hearings, and their decisions are (in most, if not all cases) subject to review by executive officers and agencies (which in turn are subject to actual judicial review). If Trump could remove the officers who have review of the ALJ decisions, in any event, why does it matter that the ALJs are also removable?

Take the SEC, for example. The decision of an ALJ in an SEC hearing is subject to so-called de novo review by the SEC Commissioners--in other words, it gets no deference. Those Commissioners are political appointees removable, for good cause, by the president. Why is granting the same authority over ALJs--who, again, have no final say--any more problematic?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I'll take "How do we sleep while our beds are burning?" for a 500 Rubles please, Alex.

EDIT: Not a shot at DQ.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

"Those Commissioners are political appointees removable, for good cause, by the president. Why is granting the same authority over ALJs--who, again, have no final say--any more problematic?" ~ lcjjdnh

I don't know a damn thing about what these people do, and obviously you know more, so this is pure speculation on my part. Do you think that this is similar to Trump coming into office and firing all the ambassadors at once so that he could put his own people in? It reads to me as if many of these guys have been in the job a while, through various administrations. Is that correct?

If so, if he's wiping the slate clean and putting in his own people across the board, perhaps that's what they're exercised about?

I linked it mostly because Joyce Vance was saying it, and then I saw it come up again in Miller's tweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.