1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That is true.

2. tapintoamerica

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's not in massive debt, he owes money on a house that is worth much more than his loan, and, "Shah added that Kavanaugh has a government retirement account worth nearly half a million dollars that also was not required to be disclosed."

He also has incredible earning potential.

If he hadn't gotten nominated to the SCOTUS, and/or if a Republican hadn't won the last election, he could have gone into the private sector, and made a ton of money.

I'm pretty sure he's going to be fine, and won't be a blackmail threat.

4. YankeeFan

We should only have wealthy SCOTUS Justices!

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

Why does he have earning potential? There have to be restrictions on justices' earnings from speaking gigs for ethical reasons.

7. tapintoamerica

8. YankeeFan

A. I meant if he had left the bench for the private sector. If he hadn't gotten named to the SCOTUS, I imagine that would have been a good option for him, once his kids reached college age, and he needed to make some money.

B. Read the article. A SCOTUS Justice can make some pretty sweet outside income.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a dick, but I'm kind of shocked by the salaries of Supreme Court justices. As in, they seem low considering the importance of the job and the requirements to earn a seat.

OscarMadison and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

These stories always seem a bit silly to me--I recall similar ones when Sotomayor was appointed, too. Barring impeachment, he as a federal judge has a sizable guaranteed income stream ($220,000+/year) until he dies. (They get paid the same when they retire.) Simplifying a bit, that's probably worth at least $4 million in today's money--even assuming (unrealistically) that he never gets another raise for the rest of his life.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Public service, holmes. POTUS only makes $400k.

12. YankeeFan

Yeah, the retirement pay is pretty sweet too.

It shows how much they love the job (and/or power) that so many of them stay on so long when they'd make the same money in retirement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.