1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I get it. Just seems warped.

I know an ER doc in a medium-sized American city making $700K a year. He's good at what he does, and he saves lives. But should he be earning three times more than a Supreme Court justice? Seems out of whack.

I understand there are lots of examples of this.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know a couple who have an interest-only mortgage. I think it's stupid as hell, but they fill a niche for some people.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's refinanced the house twice, and has $200000 in credit card debt?

C'mon.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

No. Try reading more closely.

C'mon.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By all means, let's amend that.

He refinanced the house twice, and had $200000 in credit card debt?

C'mon.

His public filing does not include his home, which he purchased with his wife, Ashley, in 2006 for $1.2 million. Public real estate filings indicate that the couple has refinanced their mortgage twice, most recently in 2015. Their current mortgage is $865,000.
    His past financial disclosure forms reveal that Kavanaugh has carried significant credit card debt — on and off — for more than a decade. He previously reported between $60,000 to $200,000 in debt among three credit cards and a loan in 2006, the same year he was confirmed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

7. lcjjdnh

Nope. Still wrong. Try reading again.

C'mon.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Financial disclosure forms intentionally leave these wide vague spreads because the legislators who voted for them under extreme political duress wanted them to be as vague as possible. Would've been easy to write a law with itemization if it wouldn't have sent so many of the authors to jail.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seriously.

"between"

Does anyone honestly think you'd report the higher figure, if the lower were true?

I have $45000 in personal debt, but for the purposes of this Supreme Court Financial Disclosure form let me estimate it at $200000.

Honey, how many times did we refinance the house?

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  11. lcjjdnh

No, no, no, no, no. The reason the say "between" is because the forms simply do not provide exact numbers. They only call for ranges. You could not report on the form the lower number, even if you wanted to.

You're wrong. Just admit it.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

OK. I'm wrong.

So go with the lowest figure in each case.

$45000 in credit card debt.

And he refinanced his house twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.