1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Then I would really object to that. Our flag should not be changed for anyone, especially NK of all places. For a flag huger trump has shown the most true disrespect I have ever seen. I would rather see it burned in the American spirit of protest and dissent than have trump change and hug it for his own gain. (because that is what his presidency is for, his and the families gain)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The DOJ is appealing the decision it lost when it brought a ridiculous antitrust case against the AT&T-Time Warner deal, because 1) Trump is personally vindictive toward CNN, and 2) This benefits Rupert Murdoch in the Fox-Disney merger, which has already been approved. It's pretty brazen. When they lost, and they put up the shittiest case imaginable, which wasn't surprising because it is a vertical integration that doesn't have the usual BS grounds they come up with for the speculative harms they conjure, the judge wrote a pretty stern ruling, advising the government against seeking a stay of his ruling because it would be an injustice. He basically slammed the Federal government for even having brought the action and told them to not waste everyone's time by appealing. Everyone thought it precluded any kind of appeal, because any appeal has to be a matter of law. They haven't declared the grounds they are appealing on yet, but this is pretty f'd up. It's Donald Trump corruptly using the Federal government to try to persecute a perceived enemy and try to boost someone he wishes he could crony up to, Rupert Murdoch. Unfortunately, AT&T really won't have recourse to be compensated for the bullshit they are having to deal with, and American taxpayers who should be on the hook for paying for this corruption won't see reality.

EDIT: From a financial standpoint, one irony in the one in a gazillion chance that the government could win an appeal is that they will really be doing AT&T a favor. AT&T so loaded itself up with debt, and the valuation they are buying at is so overpriced, that this smacks of the tail-end-of-the-bubble M&A activity we saw at the end of the dot-com bubble and heading into the collapse in 2008. They make it so easy to overleverage yourself, actually incentivize it, that everyone loses their heads. Kind of like when AOL loaded itself up with debt, and also bought Time Warner at the end of the dot-com bubble, that time for a ridiculous $165 billion. AT&T's balance sheet is a mess with the burden they are anchoring themselves with to get this done. But the point is that it should be their shareholder's decision, not Donald Trump's because he wants to help Rupert Murdoch or because he wants to mess with CNN.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And all the safeguards put in to try and

I know a person who works in DC for the government and pays close attention to these things.

He told me everything put in place around 2008 and 2009 has been peeled back by Trump and you can almost guarantee another recession or near collapse in 8 years. Big Short type of bullshit starting all over again.

The people profiting from it just don’t give a shit because they are so wealthy they are insulated from the crash.

Trump launches his attack on banks’ financial restraints – The Denver Post

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't we see this movie last month at the G7 meeting?

I'd say it's par for the course for Trump, but, well, you know ...

5. lakefront

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MEETING WITH THE QUEEN!!!! Will he act like a real human or like a trump??

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Two things are irrelevant about Kavanaugh:
    1) The financial report. If he can cash in as media reports suggest a SCOTUS justice can, he won't be in debt for long.
    At any rate, he has already proven he's in the tank for corporate interests and always will be.
    2) Stories about what a great guy he is.

Webster likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The protocol around the Queen is very formal, and Trump will have to be taught the do's and don'ts. He's a selfish uncaring boor on a good day, and he's particularly testy about being told what to do.

He's going to make a fool of himself.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

In that scenario, Trump is Ruprecht off of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He will salute her.

Sea Bass likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At least AT&T isn't superstitious. If I were a CEO I wouldn't go near a merger with a company named Time Warner (yeah, I know it's a different entity).

11. lakefront

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Donald Trump makes every American worse than they used to be. That’s his talent. He brings out the asshole in everyone. But none more than the people who support him. Take Mike Huckabee. Most remember Mike as an affable Christian conservative who always wore a smile even when he disagreed with you. He’s been on my show many times, and I always found him to be likable and quick-witted. But now that he’s on Team Treason he’s just another Republican whose former self has been consumed by the Orange Whale. Last month Mike tweeted a picture of MS-13 gang members with the line, “Nancy Pelosi introduces her campaign committee for the take back of the House.” Which is indistinguishable from a tweet from Stormfront.

And Mike’s not alone. There’s also Rudy Giuliani, who’s been so diminished he’s gone from America’s Mayor to a 29 percent approval rating. There’s Tucker Carlson, who’s gone from a mild-mannered establishment conservative to a Trump administration mouthpiece, whose show is designed to fire up the Republican base by focusing on the minor offenses of left-wing nobodies. It might as well be called “Fish in a Barrel with Tucker Carlson.”

Trump diminishes everyone. We are all worse off. But what special power does he have to turn accomplished Republicans into regular horrible people?

– BILL MAHER

melock, Baron Scicluna, Pilot and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.