1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First date, post-divorce.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nobody. NO BODY looks good in cargo shorts.
    They might be the most ridiculous looking piece of apparel ever invented.
    Neat. You have a pair of shorts that have 4 pockets in them. Sweet. What are you going to put in them? Oh........nothing?
    Well that's just silly.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The opening sentence in your book?

typefitter and Slacker like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You can pry my cargo shorts from my cold, dead hands.

Batman and Spartan Squad like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I expected that sentence to end differently.

“You can pry my cargo shorts from my cold, dead asscrack.”

5. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

Can I ask a question, because you've mentioned this before and I've actually found myself wondering about it? Why can't you just call her your girlfriend? That doesn't seem like it'd be hard to explain.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This won't end well.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a really good question. Girlfriend / boyfriend feels like it implies something less committed than what we feel toward each other. When I was younger, and I'd say, "my girlfriend," it essentially meant, "you may not be seeing her next time we get together. so don't feel like you have to get too close." This? We've been inseparable for the last decade of our lives. I mean, I reworked my business, so I can work from another city more than half the time, in order to accommodate a good opportunity for her. Our finances are intermingled, we have three homes together, we are committed for the long-term and have planned our retirements together. We spend more time together than most husband-wives I know. Most people that get to know us without knowing we aren't married, assume that we're married. So what I was saying is that when it comes up (we don't introduce it a lot), we just go with it. Like where I am right now, we're in an apartment building where others know us at least casually. If I stop to talk to someone and they ask about my wife (because people assume), I don't go through the, "Oh we're not married. She's my long-term partner, because we both get freaked about marriage certificates for some reason." I just roll with talking about "my wife," to get through the conversation. The other situation I have hit which is weird is when I am talking about her to someone who doesn't know me well, and doesn't know her. If I say, "my partner," they immediately think I am gay and I am talking about a man. If I say, "my girlfriend," I feel like it implies something more casual, and I honestly want people to know that is not who she is to me. And she has hit that situation, too. So in a lot of situations like that, she just says, "my husband" or I'll say, "my wife." Our experience is that it just seems easier for a lot of people to understand.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    lakefront likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If you said “French maid domestic partner,” I’d assume you are talking about a woman.

But that could be problematic if said in front of her.

Unless maybe she likes to dust.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What if I am the one in the relationship who wears the french maid costume?

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt you did.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

These are the exact reasons I've often described JR as my husband. Which is why a lot folks were puzzled when we announced our engagement. :confused:

YankeeFan and FileNotFound like this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

You clearly haven't seen me in my cargo shorts. I know how to wear them.

The clothes don't make the man. The man makes the clothes.

Draft saved Draft deleted