1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Given his posting history, there is absolutely no reason to do that.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it has become more ideological. It's also harmful in that we apparently don't have justices with skill at negotiating or building consensus. The pretty consistent 5-4 splits on cases that should settle major legal questions in our country just contribute to the vicious circle. Instead of accepting the court's holdings, partisans focus on flipping a single seat in the hope that the decision will be reversed.

Look at how Earl Warren, who had no judicial experience prior to becoming chief justice, worked hard to get Brown v. Board of Education to be a unanimous decision, compared to what's happened in recent landmark cases like the gay marriage decision, Obamacare, etc.

Donny in his element and Azrael like this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Moreso, you are incapable of recognizing humour and sarcasm.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but isn't it the case that across the ideological spectrum, the expert view is that, as a matter of law, Brown was not a particularly well-crafted decision? That the result was fine, but the way they arrived at the result wasn't "good" constitutional law?

Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking there's some Platonic ideal when it comes to what makes "good" constitutional law. To the degree that I am wrong, I could see the value of a more diverse mix of SC justice backgrounds.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Only for people who are outraged at every breath he takes. Go take a walk. Enjoy some quiet time. It will be OK.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I feel dirty, but I think incapable isn't really correct. Unwilling would be more appropriate, especially when given the identity of the OP.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trump doesn’t like Messiahs that were crucified

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Brown was an instance of the court writing for the public more so than for itself or future courts. Warren recognized that such a fundamental change needed public support. It isn't the greatest piece of legal writing, but it isn't baseless, either. Most of the criticism of it has come from the originalist crowd.

To the idea that the result was right, but the way they got there was wrong, I would disagree. Unlike originalists, I am comfortable with the court taking a somewhat expanded view of the fourteenth amendment because the result has largely been protection of minority rights in a large number of areas.

I would contrast that with Citizens United, which is a case where I believe the result was correct - the documentary at issue was fundamentally political speech, and therefore should not be subject to heavy regulation - but the way they got there - money is speech, corporations are people - has had terrible results.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

12 Russian intel officers charged with hacking directly into DNC.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I will admit I was much happier when I paid little or no attention to politics. But 2008 changed me. The Palin stuff and the obvious racist reaction to Obama's win (Tea Party etc) drove me away from the Republican party and made me realize that I needed to reexamine my views/participation level. So I ask you, are you at the place I was pre-2008 or are you really not incredibly sad/angry/offended by what comes out of Trump's mouth and twitter seemingly every fucking day?

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.