1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a job? Work for free and send your resume in a box

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 27, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Worked for you, why are other complaining?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if your question relates to what I posted, but it's right underneath. If it does, I don't understand what you were asking. It's not making sense to me. Can you explain, please?

3. TheSportsPredictor

You say the inpaid internship worked for you, so it was beneficial.

The entire issue is that its systematically wrong. One (or a dozen or a thousand) success stories don't change that.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right. It worked for me. It might not work for someone else. There was no one forcing me to do it. There is no one forcing someone else to do it, if they don't see a benefit.

I fail to see how there is anything systematically wrong, as you put it, about any freely-given exchange. It's like anything else, when people do things of their free will. If an unpaid internship benefits you in getting started, and it benefits someone with a business willing to give you the experience in exchange for whatever you bring, that's between you and the person with the business. Neither has to sign on if they don't want to.

5. TheSportsPredictor

Because not paying people for their work gives great advantage to the privileged who can afford to not be paid for their work and take the internship. This is generally well-off white folk.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I thought Ragu was agreeing with the consensus that unpaid internships systematically exclude people who aren’t privileged, despite the fact that it worked for him.

Are you really arguing this point Ragu?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If it is based on terror, why is Saudi Arabia, which produced the majority of the 9-11 hijackers, not on it? Because Trump has business dealings there.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It is not based on terror alone. Also based on official government stance on terror and governments screening process and willingness to comply with our screening requirements.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So it's either the risk of terrorism ... or religious/racial bigotry ... that's behind all these internship requirements popping up? Damn, what a mess!

YankeeFan and QYFW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted