1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, the photo was meant to be the woman Pete described.

But I actually like that she is French. One, she wouldn't be her without the things instilled in her from where she grew up, and I love her. And maybe more importantly, I amuse myself endlessly imitating her accent, past the point that she is ready to strangle me most days. Oh, and being around French people was the impetus for me to perfect a mean Pepe Le Pew persona, which if I do say so myself, goes perfectly with the pigeon French I speak.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sounds like my brother's experience in 1998. We was in Switzerland for business and found himself at a watch party in the French-speaking portion of the country. Lots of beer, lots of good times.

3. The Big Ragu

Ms. Ragu is pretty button down during the week and works a lot of hours. She actually blocked out her schedule, canceled some appointments, and left the office to go watch the Belgium game at a bar during the day on Tuesday. I can't stress how out of character that would seem to most people who know her. But she still talks about the 1998 final (she was already in the U.S.) and the celebration, and this stuff is a source of pride. Which is how the World Cup should be. This is a big deal to her, so seriously, it will be a big deal to me. I am long past the adolescent me who cried over a sporting event. But as an example, I got her into hockey years ago, specifically the Rangers, and when they lost in the Stanley Cup finals in 2014, I was ready for bed. She was almost inconsolable. She's really sensitive. So I think the game is going to be fun, and I have been rooting for France the whole way, and if they win, I think it's going to be a great time. Actually, I think it is going to be fun either way. If they lose, though, I am ready for her to be crying on my shoulder.

BTW, this won't be much surprise to anyone, but I talked to her dad over the weekend, before the semifinal games. He thought that Croatia was the easier matchup if France moved on. With that said, he really, really wanted the France-England matchup.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Hey, @JC meet me at the frog bar Sunday?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I’ll bring my spic friends and meet you there.

Fly likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At the France-Denmark game in Moscow my children attended, there was a group of French fans who came dressed as frogs.

7. The Big Ragu

We aren't going to watch the game there -- not even sure if he'll be open -- but we know the owner of a restaurant on the upper east side of Manhattan, who is from Paris. He called his place The Little Frog Bistro and Bar. I highly recommend for a meal, for what it is worth.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We have about 30 people coming over and have decided to go all French food and drink.

9. The Big Ragu

What did you come up with for Croatian food that made you come to that decision?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s basically veal stew or Italian food.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Veal stew is about as French as it gets. Blanquette de veau.

Draft saved Draft deleted