1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chase Utley: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Went to same high school as Tony Gwynn

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Jimmy Rollins, who has no shot at the Hall.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What does one have to do with the other? Plus Whitaker was lazy and nonchalant about his craft.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But he speaks so well.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’ve always felt if Trammell and Whitaker got on the ballot at the same time it would help both of them because they were thought of as a tandem.
    I always thought they were borderline HOF when they were playing, but why did players with comparable stats (Sandberg and Larkin) make it easily while Trammell struggled and Whitaker fell from the ballot?
    Hopefully, Whitaker will make it next time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  6. Della9250

Whitaker can't even get on the ballot. He's at least two cycles away -- the Class of 2023 -- from getting in.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My gut reaction / recollection was that Utley should be in. Then, when I look at his numbers - It's basically six full, awesome years from 2005 to 2010. After that, he plays about 100 games with above average production for two years, two more good full years in 2013 and 2014, and then a really steep decline. Second base is tough - players have shorter careers than you'd think there - but his case is borderline to me. I can understand arguments for both sides, and I'd probably lean "yes."

8. Della9250

His track to the Hall is going to depend on the guys eligible around him. Beltran coming in the class before him is not going help because he almost certainly won't be first ballot. If Ichiro is in fact done, that's going to hurt. If Adrian Beltre decides to retire after this season or next, that's another obstacle. CC has stated if the Yankees won it all, he'd probably retire/next year could be his last as well.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Olbermann on Utley.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I bet I know which one Ragu thinks was the scrappier player.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We’ve been trying to say good riddance to Olbermann for 20 years and he keeps coming back.
    He’s like herpes.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If Jeff Kent doesn’t belong, Utley definitely does not.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted