1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know Obama held one on one meetings with Putin, right?

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I could not agree more.

garrow likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oh my God.

Slacker likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Doug Ford, Rob Ford. It's not just America.

6. YankeeFan

OK, so was Obama naïve?

And, look, just like Trump, their meeting went over the scheduled time, because Obama thought a personal relationship with Putin would be helpful:

President Barack Obama met for the first time Tuesday with the man most consider to be Russia’s top power broker, Prime Minister and former President Vladimir Putin — and came out of the meeting expressing a higher opinion of Putin than when he went in.
    I’m aware of not only the extraordinary work that you’ve done on behalf of the Russian people ... as president, but in your current role as prime minister,” Obama said during a breakfast meeting at Putin’s country home on the outskirts of Moscow. “We think there’s an excellent opportunity to put U.S.-Russian relations on a much stronger footing.”

Yet by the meeting's end, Obama had revised his assessment of Putin and is now “very convinced the prime minister is a man of today and he’s got his eyes firmly on the future,” a senior U.S. official told reporters after the meeting concluded.
    The planned 90-minute session ran over by a half hour at Obama’s insistence, so he could be sure his relationship with Putin was on solid footing, they added.

Obama meets with Vladimir Putin

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Rob Ford was stripped of his powers by council while he was still in office.

But agreed, it's shameful that Doug Ford became premier.

8. Neutral Corner

YF, I simply can't write a coherent answer to you right now that does not devolve into obscene verbal abuse.

I'm used to your "but Clinton/but Obama" schtick, but what Trump is doing this morning is completely without comparison in the history of the American Presidency.

You need to examine your allegiances.

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and Slacker like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jeff Zeleny on CNN said that a senior white house official who is still in DC texted him saying, "How bad was that?"

10. Neutral Corner

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm sure @YankeeFan will be by any second to prove to us all how good-gosh silly this is.

12. YankeeFan

Trump, Obama and GWB all thought they could personally charm Putin, and win influence with him as a result.

Trump will learn, the same as they did. But, all of these guys are egomaniacs, who think they can succeed where others failed.

And, it's obviously tempting. I Russia would cooperate with us, issues like Syria, Iran, and North Korea would be far easier to solve. But, Russia wants to see us jammed up.

And, Trump mentions things like the DNC server, and Hillary's 30,000 deleted emails. when he answers these questions because he thinks they aren't getting the attention they deserve, and know the media will have to discuss them, if he talks about them -- which just pisses the media off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.